Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So let me give the full story. Worked on my fare share for small motors from the smallest to full sized sports bikes. At heart im a car guy but i do like my bikes. So I picked this headache up about a month ago. It ran when I got there but died on throttle, easy, clogged jet, gas was terrible didn't even smell. From what the title told me it hadn't been moving for about 5 years (seller has a million bikes so I know this was just one out of the many he didn't care about and had no info). Get it home i go through the basics, rip the tank off, cleaned it good, New fuel system including the pitcock, fuel pump, all new fuel lines/vacumm lines. Rebuilt the carb and put new plugs in. It fired right up but was idling wonky, rear cylinder just wasn't firing correctly so back at the carbs I went, it was clogged again of course got that squared away but same issue. Barley running on rear cylinder. After about a million times of taking the carb apart and messing with it, synching it, etc ended up just buying a whole used ultrasonic cleaned "off a running bike" on ebay. Came in all was well same issue. Got it running enough to take it around the block and holy crap did that cylinder just decide to fire when it wanted. Strong spark, and 195psi compression on both cylinders btw. When I got back, after a while of just messing with it, seeing what I could do. It got hot to the point the fan kicked on so full operating temp. At that point it seemed like it was drowning in its own gas and was super mad the cylinder was hot. It died out on me and wouldnt start. Cranked it till I figured I just flooded it. So I got fed up went inside, next day i ordered new coils, stator, regulator rectifier, signal generator, choke plungers, and cdi box. I was already fed up with another bike so I just said screw it we're rebuilding. Everything's in, check everything with a multimeter, it's all where it should be stronger spark than before but nothing. No pops no bangs. Not on carb cleaner, not on small drips of gas, I can tell it's getting gas. Out of the cylinder it's getting spark. I'm just absolutely baffled I haven't even got a pop. I'm genuinely lost here. I'm going so nuts I unwound the whole wire harness to check for cracks or split wires cleaned connectors with wire and electronic cleaner and wrapped it all back up and its all the way it came from factory still noones even buggered the wiring in the 22 years it's been with us. I'm just so stumped, anything can help please i had to of missed something.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sounds like the plugs are gas fouled.
That would make a lot of sense actually. They did foul up a bit but I do feel I cleaned them well, but will get a fresh set right away. If that fixes it, I owe myself a firm slap to the face. I hate throwing parts at things like I did here. Atleast I'll have a pile of backup parts in the end.

·
Super Moderator
9,721 Posts
Don't worry. Throwing parts at a problem is self-correcting. Pretty soon you run out of money. : -)

It will help too if when the plugs are out, hold the throttle wide open and crank the engine a while to clear out any residual gas.

It is also common for the gas tank petcock to stick open which can flood the cylinders with raw gasoline. That will definitely foul the plugs.

As a test, try removing the fuel line from the vacuum-controlled petcock. Fuel should not flow unless the engine is being cranked.

And, be sure to keep the battery fully charged as lots of cranking and no running can drain it fast and add another problem to the mix. A good trick is pull the headlight fuse to save power until the problem is fixed.

Welcome to SVRider!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
That fixed the problem thank you so much. Who knows what the original problem was but I'm going to swap out parts to see if I can replicate it again. If i do find it I'll come back with the results. I appreciate everything this community has done for me you guys are the realest.

·
Registered
2000 SV650 N
1,427 Posts
Welcome to SVR jams. Glad you and Tee were able to figure things out.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts