Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner
1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've done a lot of searching but haven't come up with anything except grashopper's post which didnt help. Here's my deal. I spun a bearing on my 2001 sv650 so I picked up a cheap 2003 engine off ebay. I mounted it up this weekend, changed the boots and the stator, changed the valve covers to the ones with no second air holes from my 1st gen, desnorkeled the air filter, and adjusted the f/a screw to two and a half turns. Had a small problem with the #1 cylinder exhaust so its in the hole but not bolted down. Now I cant get it to kick over. I'm getting gas to the carbs. But I only hear a sucking sound. I would really appreciate any help or ideas. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Do a compression check sounds as if maybe your exhaust valves are stuck. And check for spark. Your compression should be well over 100 PSI if not then you might be screwed on that motor also.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for such a quick reply ford_raccoon. I did compression check this morning and compression is good at 180 on both cylinders. #1 cylinder spark is good but #2 cylinder no spark. So I guess this is my problem now I just need to find the solution.

·
Premium Member
6,199 Posts
It makes sense that you would need to swap the stator and rotor.

BTW, PLEASE document everything you had to do to make this work. I would very much like to have this information to put in the FAQ section or to sticky.

If you run into any other problems, feel free to PM me.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Will do i'm just on hold for three to five business days until my rotor puller comes in. I can't believe these hardware stores don't carry a 20 mm 1.5 pitch bolt.

·
Registered
87 Posts
I would also like to see pictures of the transformation on the engine swap if you took any.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Got the rotor and stator on but still a no go. Spark is very good now though. It sounds like it wants to start but won't. Also it rained pretty hard the other night and I didn't have everything sealed up real tight so I think some water may have found it's way into the carbs. I'm sure this could be a problem but could it be my only problem? No more sucking sound either. Well i'm going to go pull the carbs off now and see if I can find any water. If anyone has any ideas please let me know. And I do mean any!!!

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I boke it down and theres no water in there. Now I dont have any ideas. I'm thinking about just taking the crank from the 03 and putting it in the 01 engine. Unless someone else has any ideas of what it could be.

·
Registered
4,657 Posts
To summarize:
2nd gen engine with G1 carbs into G1 bike, using G1 computer.
-sparks
-cranks, doesn't run
Is there fuel in the bowls?
Have you tried spraying starter fluid down it while cranking?
Are you getting any codes?

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Yes there's fuel in the bowl. No I have not sprayed starting fluid in the carbs. I remember reading somewhere that it wasn't good for the engine. But I could give it a shot. And I dont have a way of reading codes.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
How to get a 2nd gen engine (2003) into a 1st gen frame (2001). This was a fairly easy mod but like any mod I ran into some problems. Everything is ironed out now and my SV650 is running strong.

What I did:
Swap intake boots and the rotor and stator assembly from first gen to 2nd gen. Somehow I ruined my bearing behind the rotor so I switched it for the first gen one. I don't think this is necessary but I must say the bearings look a little different, they have the same inside diameter, but the first gen has about a quater inch larger outside diameter all screws line up though. I chose to swap the valve covers too since the 2nd gen has a black airhole on it for secondary air. On the second gen it also has secondary air hose from cylinder to cylinder, like a first gen, but ours goes to the airbox. I took my secondary air hoses off the first gen and put them on the 2nd gen. You do need new bolts for the #1 cylinder exhast I believe their 8mm. On the first gen their permanently in the head and you screw a nut on. The second gen is threaded so you have to bolt it down. I got new 2nd gen spark plus too. Everything else mounted up perfectly. Should take a weekends worth of work.

What I heard can be done:
Now if you don't have access to a first gen engine you could use the second gen valve covers but you would have to get two hoses and route them to the bottom of the airbox from the valve covers. I heard you can make a T too but I don't really see how without cutting the hose. Also you would have to raise the tank and radiator about half and inch or so. Personally I think my way is a lot easier. Especially if you have access to a first gen engine and parts.

Well thats how it's done and I would like to personaly thank all who have helped. Without your help I would still be stuck at step one. This is a great forum with a huge amount of knowledge on it. You guys are quick to criticsize, but if someone has a real problem very quick to help out. I started this mod with no motorcycle knowledge at all. I am good with my hands and know the basic principles of an engine, but no real knowledge of motorcycles. Now I feel I learned a lot and can tackle any project on here. Also me and my motorcycle have a great bond now, we spent a lot of time together the past couple weekends.

Next week a cam swap.

1 - 20 of 54 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.