Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Not sure if im posting in the right area but here is goes.....

So a friend of mine is an authorized plastidip dealer and after seeing some of his jobs i decided to let him do the SV.
Here is a pic of his last car he did:

Before

After

Now some pics of the bike. Its been 3 years since its last color change so i figured why not..

Best part about it i can remove it if i get tired of it.

·
Premium Member
418 Posts
its pretty tough. i did it to some wheels on a rally car and they took a beating, and unless you get under the edge it wont come off easy.

·
Registered
1,796 Posts
Does he use just rattle can plastidip? I have been thoniking about doing my DRZ tank but I don't want it to rub off easily.

Sent from my DROID X2 using Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
67 Posts
Wait....he put Plastidip (as in the stuff you use for tool handles?) on an Aston Martin?

Did I miss something?

Why use this instead of paint or vinyl?

The bike looks good, but...on an Aston Martin?!

·
Registered
754 Posts
Yeah .. I personally wouldn't do it on an Aston, but then again some people might not even want to wrap that car in vinyl.

My track bike on the other hand .. would be a perfect candidate .. is this the same 'Plastidip' that I see for sale in a spray can @ Lowes's paint dept ?

·
Registered
799 Posts
Same stuff. I suppose one good thing about it is that it will actually protect the cars finish and can be peeled off at a later time.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The finish is extremely durable unless the edges are peeled, like Mikey b stated. We tore the bike down and sprayed it thru a gun. Plastidip is much easier and cheaper than vinyl wrap or a standard base clear paint job. Also it doesn't harm the original surface so I can tear it off at any point. As for the auston, it's his daily so he wanted to protect the original paint and also be noticed.

·
Registered
443 Posts
that looks pretty nice, my local friend is helping me rebuilt my forks and we are currently plastidipping the front formks black to try and match the frame since I dont like the wilver forks on a black frame!

·
Registered
10,246 Posts
Why? If you dont like it, peel it off.

It protects the finish of the car.
I'm with you here - why not? Guess people but Aston's on a pedistal... no one gets bent out of shape when people do Ferrari's or Lambo's ;D

·
Registered
9,569 Posts
thats because those are always flat black... which is "cool" right? :)

I love AMs, so protecting it seems like a great idea.

·
Registered
10,246 Posts
I personally think the flat blue looks pretty badassed... flat black has umm.... well been done a lot!

·
Registered
6 Posts
I've been considering coating the frame of my '99 sv650, but have concerns about heat affecting the plastidip in this area. Any thoughts on whether or not this would be a problem or know anyone who has done this?

1 - 20 of 31 Posts