Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone have any luck with a polish or product that will fix up the swirls in the windscreen ? Or perhaps a product that can repair or renew plastic and or/ acrylic surfaces like the headlights covers? got some scratches i want to go away

THANKS

·
Registered
82 Posts
I have used Bluemagic plastic and plexiglass cleaner and had good luck and no luck. Sometimes it worked and sometimes it didn't. When they say light scratch remover they mean "light scratches" I couldn't get out some that I consider "light".

·
Registered
8,152 Posts
I used to have a cleaner for plastic lenses when I had a BMW car. The headlights would get beat up from gravel and such, and would need to be "polished" every now and then. This post is pretty useless though, because for the life of me, I can't remember the name of the product. I think it was a meguires product though.

N

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have used a product called Novus with great success. IIRC, it comes in three grades so you can effectively compound the surface to a good glaze. This was the system of choice for polishing high dollar plastics like F-16 canopies, but it also is excellent for polishing plastic windows on soft top Jeeps.

I used it to clean up the instrument faces on an old Interceptor I rescued. The bike had been sitting in the sun for a decade or so and the gauges were completely opaque, as in you couldn't see the faces of the instruments at all. After a few minutes with the Novus products they were like new -amazing!

You can get the stuff at some auto parts stores, boat shops, 4WD shops, airports, MC dealers etc. I think Rider Wearhouse (sic) also carries it.

:)

EDIT: Chico, CA? Check the airport!

·
Registered
97 Posts
Do a google search for "micro mesh". It's a repair kit for plexiglas aircraft windshields. The smallest kit costs somwhere around $16 and it works great when the instructions are followed.

·
Registered
276 Posts
DuPont sells a set of polishing compunds that are GREAT on acrylic plastics.

I forget what they're called, just generic polish, really. There are two compounds, theyre semi-liquid, pink and blue. IIRC, you start with the pink compound, dab some on one of those blue shop towels, and go to town. After the surface improves, you switch to the blue compound.

When I was studying industrial design, I used to make stuff out of acrylic all the time. I could take a piece of acrylic right off the router or grinder, sand it down kinda smooth with files, sanding blocks, etc.... get it looking decent. Once the surface was smooth (IE, only lightly scratched, like your headlight covers or windscreen), this DuPont compound would make the acrylic so clear it looked like melting ice. Amazing stuff.

Pretty cheap, too, if I recall.

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
Anybody have any luck getting rid of scratches on the 2nd gen guage face? I can't believe how soft the plastic is on that thing. If you look at it hard, you'll scratch it. I don't have any bad ones (yet) - and I'm afraid that if I attempt to polish out the few minor ones I do have, I'll just make it worse.

O

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Just a tip, those acrylic fixes do in fact work great, but the will absolutely ruin polycarbonate plastics. Make sure that the plastic you are attempting to de-swirl is in fact PMMA/acrylic. I am not 100% sure, but I think that headlamp covers on the SV are polycarbonate, and the windscreen is polyacrylate, but if someone knows for sure, that would help a lot of people from accidentally clouding their headlamp covers.

N

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Oxi-Rider said:
Just a tip, those acrylic fixes do in fact work great, but the will absolutely ruin polycarbonate plastics. Make sure that the plastic you are attempting to de-swirl is in fact PMMA/acrylic. I am not 100% sure, but I think that headlamp covers on the SV are polycarbonate, and the windscreen is polyacrylate, but if someone knows for sure, that would help a lot of people from accidentally clouding their headlamp covers.
That's a handy bit of info! Do you know of any way to un-cloud polycarbonate? The headlights on my van are a mess; I've tried compounding them (rubbing compound, polishing compound, rouge) but the results were not worth the effort.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Tim, I have ordered some of the Novus stuff and am going to try it on a headlight I got that is scratched up. If it works I will post up before and after pics for your pleasure.

O

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
nc_sv650 said:
Oxi-Rider said:
That's a handy bit of info! Do you know of any way to un-cloud polycarbonate? The headlights on my van are a mess; I've tried compounding them (rubbing compound, polishing compound, rouge) but the results were not worth the effort.

If they are "yellowed" you are SOL. If they are cloudy white, then you might have to polish the inside as well to get them clear. If they are quite old, they may have clouded all the way through :(

·
Registered
80 Posts
Sat on the couch watching U.S. Marshalls tonight and for a while I had the headlight in my lap and used a couple towels and the various levels of NOVUS polish and it is way better. When held up to the light you can still see swirls but otherwise I took a couldy (600 grit sandpapered) headlight and made it pretty nice. No one walking by would notice. You really have to stop and look at it to see the swirls. I am going to hit it with some 2000 grit sandpaper and start over to see what I end up with. Pics will follow when I get a Photobucket acount setup.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts