Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
449 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, it's about that time of year to put in new oil in the forks, gives me something to do anyway.   :p  So, I was looking through the manual and I ended up getting perplexed, (I know it's easy to do sometimes).  Anyway, I was looking at the plastic oil stopper and could have swarn that this little plastic piece actually goes over the holes on the dampner rod essentially stopping the oil, hence oil stopper.  But, this oil stopper will not fit over the dampner rod, so my quesiton is how does it work?  How does it stop the oil from flowing under hard bumps?  I know it works, I just wouldn't mind knowing how.

Thanx for the help,

Grav.

G

·
it does not cover holes on damping rod.it sits bellow holes.tip of damping rod fits in to it.once fork tube slides over it traps oil there and hydraulicly locks.

·
Registered
449 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
But wouldn't that be a bottom out anyway, because this oil lock sits at the bottom of the forks with the dampner rods. So how does this stop a bottom out on the forks.

Thanks for your time Z,

Grav.

G

·
by sliding over it.seal that is inside inner tube will seal oil once it comes over plastic piece.there is still about 1/2 inch space where oil is traped and that oil will stop tube from hitting hard.reason oil is trapped is because seal is gone past holes in damper rod.on race bikes we modify or get rid of hydraulic locks.
this plastic piece also gets out of shape from sitting in oil and sometime fork will get stock there and you have to pull hard(you probably hear about it when people change oil,it only happens with forks of the bike).

1 - 4 of 4 Posts