Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What purpose does the plastic chain guard really serve??? Is it to protect the rider??? It's placement doesn't seem like it would keep your extremeties from slipping into the rear wheel. I have taken them off bikes in the past because I think it looks better but was I being an idiot???

·
Premium Member
6,199 Posts
it's law that the manufacturers have to have one on the bike.

They protect you from sticking your foot in the chain.... I guess if the chain broke or if you lost the master link that it might guide the chain off the bike instead of throwing it up as well....

·
Registered
744 Posts
It also helps keep chain lube from being flung onto the bike.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Other than a chain gaurd built into a hugger are there any aftermarket ones that are a little better looking???

·
Registered
238 Posts
zoltan said:
It also helps keep chain lube from being flung onto the bike.
+1 I don't have one on mine (bought that way) and lube flings everywhere. undertail, license plate, taillight, boots you name it.

there are a bunch of aftermarket chainguards which look mo' betta. Check out Chapparal or Dennis Kirk to name a few.

·
Registered
7,347 Posts
The curvy SV one has a metal bracket thing in it too, which might make a bit of a difference... But they're right, it's more for oil and idiocy than anything else.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
What if I just wipe ALL the lube off my chain........just kidding! Damn. OK I am going to ask here to does anybody ride without the little plastic sprocket cover on the engine. I think it looks cool off and I used to ride a Hawk GT without it and never had a problem.
What do you think????
THanks for the info on the purpose of the chain gaurd.

Bill

·
Registered
7,347 Posts
When my clutch was knackered I left the front cover off for ages, to make adjustment easier... Nothing bad seems to have come of it. Didn't like the look myself, though...

·
Registered
830 Posts
B.C. said:
What if I just wipe ALL the lube off my chain........just kidding! Damn. OK I am going to ask here to does anybody ride without the little plastic sprocket cover on the engine. I think it looks cool off and I used to ride a Hawk GT without it and never had a problem.
What do you think????
THanks for the info on the purpose of the chain gaurd.

Bill
I was thinking of this while i was adjusting my clutch last weekend.
i like the minimal look. but the inside of that cover was covered in lots of road cheese.. that might end up on your pants and boots.

·
Registered
104 Posts
yellow650 said:
I was thinking of this while i was adjusting my clutch last weekend.
i like the minimal look.  but the inside of that cover was covered in lots of road cheese.. that might end up on your pants and boots.
+1. The inside of my sprocket cover was filled with dirt, grime, and flung off chain lube. Made me realize that I should clean under it more often.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts