Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As a side project I am going to try and make some plasma ignition spark plug wires also called capacitive leads or "hot wire leads" which can be purchased.
I have been checking this stuff out on the net and it looks promising, But feed back I have read on leads people have bought, is very mixed and few stick with them long term. Maybe people aren't using the right bits to get results?
To work properly Must have the components of the high tension side all non resistive.
Non resistive spark plugs, resistor removed fro the plug caps (I substituted a peace of silver solder rod in my caps) and wire high tension leads (I bought leads from the local trail bike shop to modify).

If you have any experience or thoughts I would like to hear, Thanks

·
Super Moderator
8,963 Posts
The stock ignition system on the SV650 works well and is reliable.

Mucking around with something like this for fun is fine but do not expect much real-world gain.

As the old saying goes, if it ain't broke don't fix it. Just my .02

·
Premium Member
158 Posts
Looks like a PITA for no gain. Spark plug is like lighting the fuse on a stick of dynomite. You can light it with a butane lighter or a blow torch and the dynomite will go off just the same. Spark plug starts the process that the combustion chamber finishes. How the flame front propagates through the combustion chamber is what makes the motor work, not the spark that initially lights the A/F mixture.

·
Registered
2000 SV650
23 Posts
My 1st gen track bike has these on it. Seem to work well but who knows?

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
My 1st gen track bike has these on it. Seem to work well but who knows?
How long have you run the hot wires, are you using non resistor plugs.
they just work as normal leads without the non res plugs?

·
Registered
2000 SV650
23 Posts
I have had the bike for about a year. It is a track only bike, has never been licensed for the street. It has had these wires on it for a long time. At least since 2008. I just replaced one as it had been laying on the top of the rear cylinder and the insulation melted. They seem to work well but I have never had another type of wire on it so I can't tell you much. Yes, non resistor plugs.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I tracked down Pulstar spark plugs with the capacitor built in to create the plasma spark.
I won't fit them till I'm back at the dyno.

·
Premium Member
181 Posts
gt alex,

Can you go over what the real world advantages are of this type of ignition setup? In what area of the power curve are these most effective? Does load or rpm come into play as far as the advantages go? How does the hotter spark affect electrode life, i.e. do they need to have the gap corrected more often, do you need to use platinum or other precious metal electrode plugs to get good life out of them? If the capacitor fails, will they still provide spark?

Thanks, looks interesting.

Reactions: gt alex

·
Registered
361 Posts
Personal opinion (of an electrical engineer), sounds like snake oil.

Reactions: gt alex

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I haven't fitted them yet thought I should wait till dyno day for a back to back comparison.
The leads I made do have a slightly brighter spark but only with non-resistive plugs.
My leads are already on the bike, so if I run standard plugs there with be no benefit to get a base line result.
Then I will change to non-resistive plugs and see if my leads do anything.
Then because the pulstar plugs run a resistor in circuit before the capacitor my leads will be rendered inactive but the plugs will still function as designed.
Snake oil maybe, but even my home made leads did show a better spark?
If the capacitor fails, I would think if it went open cct the plugs should still function as normal plugs, but short cct would kill it.

·
Registered
1,715 Posts
Gap spark is plasma. Always has been.
Seems kind of disingenuous to market them this way.

If they called it Phlogiston ignition to set themselves apart, fill yer boots.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Gap spark is plasma. Always has been.
Seems kind of disingenuous to market them this way.

If they called it Phlogiston ignition to set themselves apart, fill yer boots.
I don't know, but also read an article on a similar system than clamed micro wave emission from the plug smoothed and speed the flame front.
I repeat I don't know I will let the dyno decide.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts