Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
I haven't ridden Independence Pass on a motorcycle, but I have driven it in a cage and want to ride up it on my bicycle. That pass can definitely spook out people. The road is literally carved into the side of a mountain. Erosion has washed away support for the outer edge of the road in many spots. As a result, much of the outer edge is actually collapsing under its own weight down the mountain causing the road to have a weird bumpy wavey surface.

The pass consists of two narrow lanes with few guard rails. Colorado DOT closes the road during the winter which makes the drive from Denver to Aspen impractical for most in the winter. However, contrary to the yahoo! article, Independence Pass is a small portion of the otherwise tame but beautiful route between Leadville and Aspen.

If you're coming to Colorado to ride, you'd want to tour multiple passes through the high country and not focus on any one single pass. Look for scenic by ways. Our passes are mostly all very pretty and worth riding.

Msurk

·
Premium Member
9,691 Posts

·
King of D'bags
3,579 Posts
I totally want to kick Yahoo in the proverbial ding-ding.

All of these places, particularly our beloved Dragon, are going to be even more overrun with a$$holes looking for a thrill only to f*ck it up for the rest of us.

·
Registered
13,319 Posts
I totally want to kick Yahoo in the proverbial ding-ding.

All of these places, particularly our beloved Dragon, are going to be even more overrun with a$$holes looking for a thrill only to f*ck it up for the rest of us.
I'll hold 'em down, but only if I get a turn.

The only benefit is that most of the dumbsh-ts aren't up at 6am, so I get at least a couple hours in before it turns into retard central.

·
MOTORADOR
10,830 Posts
Faceless chick!

:panic:

·
Registered
132 Posts
I've done the 1st one - HWY 1 along the CA coast. Fun ride as long as there aren't too many a$$holes in minivans.

·
Registered
147 Posts
I live in California and I have done Hwy 1 from Bodega bay down to the Gate... definitely scared me a few times, but improved my riding for sure. hwy 50 I have driven a few times, and I would be hard pressed to ride it with a bike. Only way I would is if I had a few gallons of water and enough food for 2 days.... and an extra gallon of gas XD

·
Registered
3,572 Posts
I've done the 1st one - HWY 1 along the CA coast. Fun ride as long as there aren't too many a$$holes in minivans.
It's horrible on summer weekends. Weekdays aren't too bad, nor are other times of the year.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts