Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

Pirelli Supercorsa compounds

4K views 28 replies 16 participants last post by  snowbizx 
#1 ·
I bought my trackbike last year and it had Dragon Supercorsa pros on it. I'm looking to replace them and could have sworn I saw SC2 on the rear and SC1 on the front but now that's worn off I guess because I can't find it at all. Just curious what you guys run on here before I order a set.

#5 ·
try a sc2 front and you wont run the sc1 anymore. i even like the yellow sc3 fronts better. and i never run a sc1 rear. its actually the old compound, while the sc2's have been updated.

#8 ·
i never had any wear issues either, but i like the stiffer carcass on both the sc2 and sc3 better. both are better under braking for sure, and i didnt see a difference in grip either. i ran the sc1 front for years. then i finally tried the sc2 like all the big bikes had switched to, and i picked up a few tenths here and there at every track. if you guys try it, you'll like it.

i only ran the sc3 in endurance, but again, i really liked the way it felt. i know several really fast sprint riders that prefer the sc3 in sprints. moose told me some time ago, that dunlop riders that switched to pirelli liked it because it was a stiff carcass like dunlops.

#10 ·
The popular set-up for the Dragon's at Loudon is the SC1 front, SC2 rear.

If you can still see the colored line on the meat of the tire (see below), SC1 = blue (supersoft), SC2 = green (soft) and SC3 = yellow (medium).

Don't forget to use your local Pirelli representative (Degsy) as a knoledgable resource ;)

This is a DIABLO supercorsa, but you get the point. Even if the tire is scrubbed in you may still be able to see some of the line down in the grooves.

#11 ·
Just thinking out loud here, but, I'll try the Diablo sc2 this year. After riding a couple of the new Diablo sc1 fronts, i think like the old Dragon Supercorsa sc1 better. The new Diablo - its hard to describe - but feels a bit slow and not as responsive, but once its over it sticks well. I thought i felt it right away at pit speed, but it could be that **** wera required steering damper i'm not fond of. Its just in the that transition, gray area, i'm talking about...and Kris is probably right the carcass is a bit soft.

#12 ·
tires are all about feel. if you dont like the way the new tire feels, and you're not comfortable, then you're not going to go fast on it.

i was a good test subject for it. when it first came out, i was at the barber national, i think it was 07. it had rained on sunday morning, and i didnt have any track time at all on the diablo front. pirelli adsured me to just slap it on, go out and ride it like i did the old tire, and i'd be fine. that was the first time i did 36's at barber on the sv, and i won the national, beating dane westby. i absolutely loved that front tire.

i cant tell any difference in the rears. pirelli told me they (meaning 160's) were the same tires as the old dragons anyway, other than some slight compound changes.

#13 ·
So Kris you're talking about using a Diablo Supercorsa for the SC2 front? From looking around on google I'm guessing the Diablo's are the closer to race tire?

And thanks oreo that might just be the solution since obviously most of my time is at NHMS. I actually PMed Denno for a price, I'm not that close, but if the price is right it might be worth a weekend ride.

#15 · (Edited)
I just wanna note that the Dragon is the old race DOT & the Diablo is the new race DOT.

Or were "marketing" the Dragon as a track day tire last year? ???

I dunno... Either way, they're still both technically Race DOT's as far as I know.

#16 ·
Diablo Supercorsa SC2 front & back for me at the few NESBA days I run.

#18 ·
Do you guys run a 120/60 or a 120/70???? The Michelin guy says I should run a 120/60 on the front. I need to buy a set of DOT's before April 25th weekend at NHMS but not sure what brand to go with. Michelins are mad cheap. Dunlop and Pirelli not so much. Bridgestone is right in the middle.

KB

#22 ·
I'll be running Supercorsa SC1 front, SC2 rear this year - my second year on these tiers. I like them ok , but then, I also liked the Dunlop Qualifiers I had before that...

I may not be fast enough to really notice the difference. Same may be true for you!

#23 ·
I ran a dragon supercorsa - sc1 blue - this past weekend and man i like it much better than the new diablo sc1. It felt more responsive and not a soft or flat.

On another note, Michelin has their new Power One available in a 160 rear out and a new V front that i'm hearing some good things about. I'm pretty sure contigency pays out the same so that's moot point.

#24 ·
i wonder whats different about your riding style that you prefer the old tire to the new one? thats interesting.

i am 100% opposite. i went faster with the new fronts.

#28 ·
You're fast, and i'm slow ;) The Diablo just feels heavier and more squishy/softer under hard braking. I'll try a green front next and see how that one responds. I do like the price on the dragons for sure.

I do like the Diablo rear, i put down a personal best at VIR w/ temps in the 60s - still have to drop a few seconds to catch the front runners - but i'm getting there. I can't say its all the tire, but i felt pretty confident on it. Maybe its something about the tread pattern and less sipes. I think its all psychological.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.