Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,471 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I downloaded it to my Galaxy S phone from the Google Play site.
The lean angle info seemed somewhat accurate as it showed my lean angles running upto around 30 degrees or so, which feels about right for my conservative riding style.
Speed and distance measurements were off, though. On a section of road I know to be less than 30 miles, it showed a distance of 42 miles and a top speed of over 82 mph. I might have hit about 80 mph (indicated, which means about 72 mph real speed). The posted speed for that road is 55 in one half and 70 in the other half and I tend to ride up to about 15 mph indicated over the limit, meaning I would normally not be doing over 63-65 in the first half and around 75 max in the other half.
I assume the inaccuracies may have been phone related, but I don't
know. Anybody else used this app? How accurate did it seem to record its data?

I also downloaded Allstate's GoodRide app, but haven't tried it out. It is supposed to record ride info and expenses. Both apps are FREE.

·
Registered
4,830 Posts
No freaking way I'd use that app. Who knows who has access to that data... The police? Your insurance company?

·
Registered
136 Posts
No freaking way I'd use that app. Who knows who has access to that data... The police? Your insurance company?
Relax a bit, aren't there cops all over the place? Do you think your insurance company has time and resources to crack your phone and read all that data? Anyways not like the OP is doing crazy things with it.

·
Registered
688 Posts
Relax a bit, aren't there cops all over the place? Do you think your insurance company has time and resources to crack your phone and read all that data? Anyways not like the OP is doing crazy things with it.
Crack/Hack? You mean pay money to buy the data right? These companies trade your name and email address every day... many of them trade your location data every time you tweet or post Facebook... or when your friends on twitter/fb tweet or post.

Who's to say the apps not paid for by progressive and just branded with pirelli :)

Sent from my LG-P930 using Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Premium Member
1,471 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I only used the app last night, so I am not overly concerned about abuse.
The app is from Pirelli, so the likelihood of it doing anything underhanded is lessened since it would reflect poorly on Pirelli, possibly opening them to legal action. The app claims it has Internet access and access to your GPS info.

Progressive's "Snapshot" feature is just such a trade-off. It monitors your driving habits and Progressive uses the collected info to determine your rate. I would not be interested in such monitoring, but don't mind the Pirelli app.

Basically, using any smartphone app involves an element of trust.

·
Registered
96 Posts
I've used the Pirelli Superbike App. It's kinda fun to play around with. Like you said, I'm really not sure about the accuracy. I wonder if different smartphones may have differing degrees of accuracy or if placement may affect it (I just keep my phone in my pocket where it moves around a lot as opposed to maybe keeping it in a vertical/horizontal position in a tank bag etc).

I haven't noticed the speedo being that far off, my top speeds seemed pretty consistent with what I remember from the speedo. Never thought to check the distance, and I really don't know if it could possibly be exactly accurate with lean-angle. Maybe within a few degrees. Mine got up to high 30's to low 40's, but one curve where I scrapped my boot said I was at 39 degrees and another where I didn't said 41, so I don't know. Maybe I just had my foot positioned a bit differently. Oh, and I used it in my car once and I was a bit surprised by the lean-angle I was capable of achieving in my car...who knew? :dontknow:

I really do like the map section where you can look back at your ride and see exactly what you are doing on different roads and/or curves. It's like riding with a camera on you though, it's tempting to push harder than you normally would when it's on. I've tried to be conscious about that and not push it.

Not too worried about privacy at the moment. Not that someday in the future it won't be a concern, but if insurance companies could use gps info to catch you speeding, etc, they'd already be pulling out of people's cars. Not at that point yet.

·
Registered
688 Posts
I only used the app last night, so I am not overly concerned about abuse.
The app is from Pirelli, so the likelihood of it doing anything underhanded is lessened since it would reflect poorly on Pirelli, possibly opening them to legal action. The app claims it has Internet access and access to your GPS info.

Progressive's "Snapshot" feature is just such a trade-off. It monitors your driving habits and Progressive uses the collected info to determine your rate. I would not be interested in such monitoring, but don't mind the Pirelli app.

Basically, using any smartphone app involves an element of trust.
I'm not saying it DOES any of that stuff - just stating it may...

·
Registered
534 Posts
Downloaded it this morning and played with it at lunch. Kinda cool anyway.

And if someone was going to hack your phone, they wouldn't need an app from pirelli to pull it off.

·
Registered
9 Posts
so I did use it for a bit... and my verdict on this app is it is very inaccurate.
there is NO WAY I did 50 degrees around corner, and 150 kmph on straight

EDIT: If you can't see the picture below (screenshot of my phone) right click and open image in new tab

1 - 10 of 10 Posts