Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
490 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, was just wondering about this. I love the sound the vtwin makes on the SV when there is no pipe attached...it just sounds mean and aggressive--and not to mention LOUD. Is there some solution out there to keep this sound yet not damage or hurt the engine?

·
Premium Member
371 Posts
A proper pipe dose a lot more than keep the sound down. It helps remove exhaust gasses from the engine etc...
Put an exhaust w/ a can on it.

·
Premium Member
3,557 Posts
Uh....well....it doesn't remove gases. It DOES provide back pressure to the engine. Something essential for optimal performance.

I guess you could run an open-pipe, with enough length and jetting.

The racket it makes is, well, inconsiderate to the world around you, though.

·
Registered
6,503 Posts
First, loud pipes are bad for our collective image. Second, they attract attention that you may not want (like cops). Third, they are probably illegal so you leave yourself open to tickets.

The rant is over.

There is a myth that running straight pipes will damage your engine, and that you need some back pressure to protect the exhaust valves. This is not the case. Usually the exhaust valves either warp or burn because the jetting (or fuel map on injected vehicles) is not correct for the new pipes. Scavenging actually reduces pressure at the exhaust valve right when the valve opens (reverse sound pulse). Unless the pipes are designed properly you can lose power or at least wind up with a narrower power band. Most modern stock designs sacrifice maximum power for a wider power band.

·
Premium Member
371 Posts
Ruefus said:
Uh....well....it doesn't remove gases.  It DOES provide back pressure to the engine.  Something essential for optimal performance.

I guess you could run an open-pipe, with enough length and jetting.

The racket it makes is, well, inconsiderate to the world around you, though.
Sorry to disagree Ruefus butt...
+1 Andyauger

As the exhaust port opens the spent gasses run down the headers until they reach a portion of the pipe that is larger than the exhaust port. When this wave of gasses hits this section they slow down and expand, which then creates a negative pressure wave that flows  back toward and in to the exhaust port. if the engineers did there jobs, this wave hits the exhaust valve during the overlap period and flows in through the open exhaust valve. it's low pressure help remove any residual gasses in the combustion chamber and pull in fresh air/fuel mix. It is called the "scavenging effect".

I am not a exhaust guy, but I have friends that are very experienced in the car (sorry) racing world (Formula Atlantic, Indy Lights etc..) who do a lot of work with exhaust systems and this is the stuff they play with to get HP from an engine.

-Eric ;D

·
Registered
397 Posts
I never really liked the loud obnoxious sounds of those friggin harleys :mad: It hurts the ears, makes babies cry, and just too loud to be cool...I wonder how those harley riders are still able to hear after each ride...just strap on an aftermarket exhaust and its loud enough in a sensible way. ;D Besides I remember hearing that it was illegal to have your exhaust go past a certain decible or sumthing like that...I guess the cops just don't give a crap about harley riders and go after us sportier bikes that have loud exhausts...

·
Registered
151 Posts
andyauger said:
First, loud pipes are bad for our collective image. Second, they attract attention that you may not want (like cops). Third, they are probably illegal so you leave yourself open to tickets.

The rant is over.
I accept what you're saying but I will raise the issue that a LOUD bike is a SAFE bike... now starting your bike up in your driveway at 5am on Sunday morning might have an effect on your neighbourly loving but I'd rather walk my bike down the street and 'round the corner and have a loud pipe than have some silly prat change lanes right into me on the freeway simply because he didn't hear me...

·
Registered
3,655 Posts
SpeedyBoy said:
I accept what you're saying but I will raise the issue that a LOUD bike is a SAFE bike... now starting your bike up in your driveway at 5am on Sunday morning might have an effect on your neighbourly loving but I'd rather walk my bike down the street and 'round the corner and have a loud pipe than have some silly prat change lanes right into me on the freeway simply because he didn't hear me...
I dunno...call me crazy...but I usually just maintain my awareness. That typically keeps me out of harms way. ;D I have an i4 stock exhaust and most times everyone knows i'm on the road.

P

·
0 Posts
I drive a big red 3000 gallon firetruck. It has flashing lights all over it. It has sirens that make a variety of loud a piercing noises. It has dual air horns. People still pull out in front of me and change into my lane w/o noticing my bigazz truck is there.

·
Registered
198 Posts
stranger said:
ooooohhhh boy. here we go...
+1. id reply with a tirade, but im tired of quoting technical studies explaining acoustic physics.

·
Registered
8,152 Posts
panthercity said:
I drive a big red 3000 gallon firetruck. It has flashing lights all over it. It has sirens that make a variety of loud a piercing noises. It has dual air horns. People still pull out in front of me and change into my lane w/o noticing my bigazz truck is there.
Damn skippy.

·
Premium Member
1,209 Posts
if you want loud... just get a race can version of an exhaust... its not that much different than no can. I ran my SV once for a few minutes with no can when I added a slipon... then I added my race slipon and it really didn't muffle it much... it mostly just redirected the sound to the back of the bike.

all I have to say on the loud pipes issue is this... yes, those who run their bikes at hours when most in neighborhood sleep might make enemies and might want to reconsider their choice in pipes but... for the rest of us... no big deal. My SV has a Yosh race can and while its loud... its still not any louder than 75% of the Harleys in my area and my neighbors (which are retired and gray haired) never complain one bit about my bike. I don't run it eayly in morning though and only come in late at night on rare instance.

as for loud pipes save lives... yes and no. It does get more attention... but never gotten the wrong attention from police though... just don't ride around in 2 gears lower than you need and the sound won't get the wrong attention... its actually mellow until you wind it out ;)

N

·
0 Posts
panthercity said:
+1 LOL!

People are blind. I used to move heavy equipment (towed F-14 Tomcats)- 60-100 tons, three lanes wide- and I lost track of the number of people that tried to turn into us or run my people down because they "didn't see it", even at five miles an hour..

Do you seriously believe your pipe (or lack of...) makes any difference?

;)

·
Registered
836 Posts
osirisdean said:
+1. id reply with a tirade, but im tired of quoting technical studies explaining acoustic physics.
Well...you could quote facts till you run out of breath...but people will still believe what they want to.

There are proven ways to make you more visible to cagers...a loud pipe isn't one of them. Actually...it tends to just annoy people once you've ridden past them. People behind you are the only ones who really hear it...similar to the dopplar effect, but also caused by the rearward direction through which the gasses escape.

·
Registered
6,503 Posts
+1, panthercity. I used to work for the New Orleans Fire Department. Our operators reported the same thing.

A motorcycle cop friend of mine was in pursuit down Banks Street, siren, lights, bike blue and white Harley, doing about 50. A middle-aged woman was backing out of her driveway. He whoop whooped the siren a couple of times. She stops, looks directly at him, and backs out in front of him. Luckily he wasn't badly injured. It was cold so he was wearing several layers and launched over the trunk of the car. And it's not just women drivers. There are drivers of all ages and genders who are basically blind and deaf when they get behind the wheel.

Loud pipes are loud, that's it.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts