Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
597 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I think it is time to get new tires for my 650. I got 8,000 out of the stock rear.(D 220)

Because I know the SV1000 comes stock with the Pilot Roads; What are your thoughts on handling + durability for these tires?

·
Registered
111 Posts
The SV1S comes with pilot powers. I would get about 7500 miles on the rear. The cords would be showing a little. I do a lot of Highway communting.

I road the hell out of them at Deal's Gap last year with no problems. I like them a lot. They take a little longer to warm up than the M1's.

Y

·
0 Posts
Matt McHenry said:
The SV1S comes with pilot powers. I would get about 7500 miles on the rear. The cords would be showing a little. I do a lot of Highway communting.

I road the hell out of them at Deal's Gap last year with no problems. I like them a lot. They take a little longer to warm up than the M1's.
Didnt the Pilot Power just come out not to long ago? I mean the Sk1k has been around since 03, and I know the Pilot Powers haven't.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Yellow Nudist said:
Matt McHenry said:

Didnt the Pilot Power just come out not to long ago? I mean the Sk1k has been around since 03, and I know the Pilot Powers haven't.
yeah your right. I had to go look at the bike. It comes with PILOT SPORT.

Y

·
0 Posts
Sorry, didnt mean to seem like I was calling you out... I was just seeing if maybe the 05's had Powers on them.

·
Registered
905 Posts
Like Matt McHenry's experience, tire warm up time is one of the main knocks against the Pilot Sport. Once warmed up, most people find them to be a very suitable sport tire, especially if you like the profile and turn in characteristics.

Don't think it's calling someone out by making sure everyone's talking about the same thing, but I digress. Back to the Pilot Roads!!

·
Registered
78 Posts
The SV1K naked came with pilot roads on it from the factory. I got 10K out of the rear. The Pilot Roads are rock hard, they'll do ok for moderate riding, but don't get them if you really like corners. I just put a set of Pilot Powers on my bike and they are simply outstanding. The only drawback is that the rear will probably only last about 4k.

·
Registered
100 Posts
my 03 naked sv1000 does have pilot roads i haven't realy pushed it hard yet to test them but there is only 70 miles on the bike and i've had it 3 days so I'm not realy sure. I had avons av45/46 on my 03 sv650 and i loved them they were way better than the dunlops unfortunatly I only got to put a little over 1000miles on them before it was totaled 2 1/2 weeks ago. Those will proubly be the next tire to go on my sv1000.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I just replaced the Pilot Sport rear with the Pilot Power and I've only ridden the bike (1KS) once on the new tire, but was going fairly big on them pretty much right away and they seemed really, really good.......

one of the things that supposed to be better about the Powers than the Pilot Sport, is the time needed to warm them up, but I've never really noticed any problem with the Piolt Sports in this way. I haven't taken my bike to the track yet, but when I do, I switch the tires out with DOT race rubber, so it won't matter, anyway

·
Registered
13 Posts
STAY AWAY FROM PILOT ROADS. (At least for the front tire...)

Way too hard. Sure, you can get 10k+ miles out of them easily, but they don't inspire any trust in the corners whatsoever.

The combination I'm using is a Pilot Road on the rear and a Pilot Power on the front.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts