Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
5,158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've had my rear pilot road for about a month and finally went in and got the front today.
It made sense to me the way the rear is mounted: any water will be caught in the middle and channelled outward.
However, the front appears as if it will channel water inward (to the center of tire). I may not have noticed it except that it's the opposite of the rear.
Both tires' directional arrows are correct. So what's the dealio?
In this picture below, imagine you're facing the front of the bike and able to see both front and rear tires. This is how mine are mounted.

·
Premium Member
11,333 Posts
tread in front is designed for maximum braking traction, tread in rear is designed for maximum acceleration traction, My MTR60, are the same, tread goes in opposite direction front & rear

·
Registered
5,158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I don't understand tire technology as well as Michelin, obviously; but that still seems backwards. Isn't it pretty unsafe to channel water to the center of a tire? Seems like hydroplaning will happen way too easily.

·
Registered
4,244 Posts
ShaggyZ said:
I don't understand tire technology as well as Michelin, obviously; but that still seems backwards. Isn't it pretty unsafe to channel water to the center of a tire? Seems like hydroplaning will happen way too easily.
Let it go, Shaggy. Maybe you're not supposed to understand? Just be happy you've got some nice new treads on your bike. ;)

·
Registered
5,158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
sv650nate said:
Often times, tires like the Pilot have treadlines more for style and dry traction than water channeling.

Randy's right, though.
Then why do the rear tires mount the way they do? I need some dialogue with Michelin, I guess.

·
Registered
1,973 Posts
If you don't like 'em, Shaggy, I'll take one for the team and take them off your hands... ;) ;D

·
Registered
5,158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I have some new Pilot Powers you can buy from me. $220 shipped ;D

·
Registered
1,973 Posts
Powers? Non, merci. It would be borderline criminal to subject such a fine sport tire to the upright rigors of commuting and scenic riding... ;D

·
Registered
5,158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Six Chin Skinny said:
Powers? Non, merci. It would be borderline criminal to subject such a fine sport tire to the upright rigors of commuting and scenic riding... ;D
That's why I'm selling them

·
Registered
1,973 Posts
Gotcha ;). Should be a good supply of folks looking for Powers at a discount, good luck...

1 - 13 of 13 Posts