Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright, I've done the research. I've narrowed down the type of tire I want to the Michelin Pilot Road. Thanks to all of the forums on svr for helping me with this decision. NOW, michelin offers two separate types of pilot roads, the 1 and the 2... and I can't tell for the life of me which one I should get. Does anyone have experience with both or either of these tires?

Thanks everyone!

·
Registered
109 Posts
I've got the Pilot Road's and they've done well thus far for me. They've got about 6,000 on them and have started to flat spot due to the interstate/commuting that they mostly get. Cornering is fairly good and they have pretty good grip to me.

·
Premium Member
780 Posts
I have the Pilot Roads w/about 6,000 mi street miles and, 'bout a half a track day, on them. Love 'em. The Road 2ct is supposed to be even better with the sticky sides for better cornering. For commuting and regular street riding, they're great.

·
Registered
624 Posts
I run the Pilot Roads on a VTR1000 and after 5000 miles they look pretty good still!
For sport touring, the extended life of the road is a better payoff than the little extra grip of the road 2, IMO.

·
Registered
984 Posts
I got the Road 2CT cause I'll probably have a track day or two this summer, a long with a lot of highway commuter miles. Should be the best tire for those combined duties. It's also supposed to be one of the best tires for rain as well.

·
Registered
406 Posts
I can't compare the two, but I have the road 2's. I like the softer compound on the sides.

On the stock tyres, when riding through the mountains, i noticed that rubber collecting on the sides. don't know how to describe it, but basically, the rubber just gets hot and curls up on the sides. i've seen it on race cars a lot. if you've seen it, you know what i'm talking about (i hope).

edit: i think the term is graining....

anyways, i'm really happy with my road 2's. i've got about 3000kms on them and they look pretty much brand new.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
So the sense I'm getting is that due to the compound used the pilot road 2s would be better for a sportier touring tire that can handle some more intense cornering and the pilot roads are just the all out, long distance, put these tires on and drive around the world tires? If that is correct then I will probably go with the original pilot roads as maximum distance is more important to me than cornering ability.... especially as I see a lot of superslab on my next journey :(

·
Registered
2,009 Posts
So the sense I'm getting is that due to the compound used the pilot road 2s would be better for a sportier touring tire that can handle some more intense cornering and the pilot roads are just the all out, long distance, put these tires on and drive around the world tires? If that is correct then I will probably go with the original pilot roads as maximum distance is more important to me than cornering ability.... especially as I see a lot of superslab on my next journey :(
I dunno...I'm just guessing, but I figure the mileage on them wouldn't be much different, depending on what kinda riding you do. my tires seem to wear in the middle first (I think that's probably true for most of us, especially those of us who do any amount of slabbing at all), and I'm guessing that the middle "long wear" compound on the road2's is the same as the compound all over on the roads? so that the road2's wouldn't really last much longer than the roads, but would give better grip when leaned...and might wear a little quicker on the sides than the roads, but still not quicker than the middle. again, I'm guessing and assuming.

·
Registered
647 Posts
thanks JAGR i can get a set of the pilot road 2's for $300 shipped....this is on my sv1000. I haven't found them that cheap anywhere!!

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Road 2's- All weather
long life
grip for spirited ride/more traction when leaned
Roads- long life
all weather

That is what this website (http://stores.sportbiketrackgear.com...in+Tire+Detail) said.
so the only difference is maybe a little more grip.

Thats it, enough deciding... I'm going with the basic pilot roads not the 2s. For a lot of superslabbing and general street riding I think it could be the best choice.... reviews to come in 8,000 miles or so!

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I'm not too worried about price, I know a guy who works at a shop that stocks them and he will give them to me for less than the prices I've seen online!

·
Registered
647 Posts
you can get a set of the original pilot roads for the sv1k at ridedirect.com for $240 shipped FYI. so it would even be cheaper for the 650..

·
Registered
117 Posts
I ride a 240mi.(rnd. trip) commute three times a week and so far the pilot roads2 have been the best tires I have put on the rear. They DO have great grip in the rain. On the weekends, its nice to have the better grip on the sides when I have my wife on back and we are scrapin pegs. I run with the orig. Pilot power on the front for super grip. All the slabbing I do really don't shorten the life of the front as much as it does on the back. My $.02

1 - 16 of 16 Posts