Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know this is frowned upon but it was slightly out of my hands. I had a new rear installed this weekend. I didn't notice till I got back home that they installed the wrong tire. I asked for the stock size 160/60zr17 BUT INSTEAD I got a 180/55 I did my home work when I got home and see its recommended for a 5.50 wide rim where the SV650 that I have is 4.5. I looked up at the tire manufacture site and search on here. And I come up with it can change the profile of the tires factory shape because of the pinching of the sidewall well the tire is already on the rim and 30+ miles for the shop. I looked at the tires width compared to the rims width and it looks to be just over a 1/2 inch difference doesn't appear to have to steep of a transition on the side walls just looking for more input from the riders and the tire in "Question" is a Michelin Road 2 on a stock 03 SVS rim.

·
Registered
9,123 Posts
Is the tire size you asked for printed on the shop receipt? If so, request that the shop install the correct size tire for no additional charge and take back the 180/55. It's the shop's mistake, not yours. I have no experience with this tire size on a 4.5" rim, but it's not going to kill you. But, it's not what you ordered. Ducati in the mid '90s produced its 900SS that could run a 170, 180, 190 tire on the same rear rim. It's doable, not desirable.

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The shop receipt says for a 180 but i verbally asked for the 160 and had my lady call the day before asking prices for the 160

·
Registered
9,123 Posts
Okay, but you may have some issues because of the receipt. The shop of course will deny the verbal communications. I would call the shop and let them know asap and remind them that you wanted a stock size tire, not a tire that is not recommended for your wheel and also that your girl called for a price and just be polite and wait for their answer. If the shop bothered to look up the tire size for your bike, they should have questioned the 180 tire size they installed. It would help if you could remember with whom you spoke with at the shop initially. This in my view is very incompetent of the shop. You should be able to ask a shop to install a stock sized tire on your bike with only telling them the yr and make and model of your bike.

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Planned on calling in the AM and seeing what i can find out on the whole thing how hard is it to remove the rear wheel with out a stand I trailered it to them the first time but dont have easy access to the trailer

·
Registered
9,123 Posts
If you have a tall step ladder you can straddle the bike and use a ratchet strap to lift the rear up. Or, reverse the passenger pegs and place jack stands under them. Why not just ride the bike back to the shop? Never mind that, the tire has 0 miles on it since you didn't ride the bike.

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
will keep ya posted on what they say and what I do in the end I will most likely do the jack stand route and see about some compensation for the trouble such a free swap of tires plus price difference between the 180/55 to the 160/60

·
Registered
9,123 Posts
Hope this works out for you. I brought in a Yamaha SRX250 to have tires mounted and balanced at a Yamaha dealer only to find at pickup that they didn't balance the tires and charged me a c note for mounting and balancing. I brought this to the attention of the owner who said the small wheels wouldn't fit on the machine. I told him to do it the old fashion way assuming they had a competent mechanic. They couldn't figure out how to balance my wheels but had no problem charging me for it. This was a very reputable older dealer up in Boston who also sold Triumph and Ducati. They basically didn't want to work on older bikes anymore, the SRX was a '87. Progress is not always an improvement.

·
Registered
123 Posts
If you have a tall step ladder you can straddle the bike and use a ratchet strap to lift the rear up. Or, reverse the passenger pegs and place jack stands under them. Why not just ride the bike back to the shop? Never mind that, the tire has 0 miles on it since you didn't ride the bike.
You can just put jackstands under the solid mount point for the front pegs without flipping anything, did this a couple weeks ago to put a new shock in the rear, worked fine, just make sure you are under the solid part where the peg mounts.

·
Registered
3,743 Posts
If the shop is any good they'll take care of you. If not it's a good reason to never go there again.

Most places know that mistakes are made. This one is relatively minor and I'd be willing to bet you could sort this out with a phone call or two.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts