Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all, I am once again about to become the owner of an SV650. My last one was a '02 SV650 that was a track bike. Well that was four years ago, since then I have been doing alot of bike swaps. Buying them broken fixing and selling. But the last bike I had I rode a little bit and got the itch to ride again. Well I came across a couple selling an '08 SV650 for $4200. I has a little bit of rash on the left side. It was a bike for this guy's wife to learn on and she dropped it and then basically never rode it again due to deployments and then getting pregnant. So it has sat in their garage with 500 miles on the odometer. Aside from the little bit of road rash the bike looks/sound brand new. So I am going to jump on this deal as I have gotten them down to $3500. Any thing special or bad about the '08 SV's I should know about? I am actually looking forward to riding an SV again. I have never ridden a second gen frame so that will be new. Thanks for your opinions.

Oh and it is bone stock. I would like to add a slip on at some point down the road, but it is not high pri for now.

·
Registered
534 Posts
3500 for an '08 with 500 miles is a great deal, even with a little rash. I don't know of any bad things about an '08. Only real difference from that and my '06 is 4 spark plugs instead of 2, and some cosmetic changes. Being used to an '02 model, you'll hear a slight whining sound when you turn the key on, as well as a lever missing on the left side. ;D

Spend some time on these forums, and you'll realize there isn't really a whole lot of problems with SV's in general.

Just do some standard inspection with a motorcycle that has been sitting for a while, probably drain the old gas, change the oil, may need a new battery, etc.

Post some pics when you get it, and welcome back to the SV club. :eek:ccasion14:

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks JMod45,

Yeah I took a quick ride on her before handing over the check. I did look yesterday at the stearing stops and they are solid and not bent. The girl did tweek the forks in the triples though. Easy enough for me to fix with an allen and a quick jig of 2x4's. The engine sounds great and instantly brought back fond memories. The girls husband had drained and put new gas in the bike, and the battery is new. It needs a quick tune up and an oil change as the engine is not even at the break in period of 600 miles. If you look at the right side of the bike it looks like it just came off the show room floor. Even the left side only has a small rash on the upper fairing. I'm thinking I got a great deal. Now I have to get the safety and registration up to date.

And yes the whining sound before start up I was not used to. Fuel injection is new to me as I am an old carb guy.

·
Premium Member
4,058 Posts
Not a big thing, but check to make sure the horn is mounted good. Mine fell off in the first month and I have heard a few others on here with 08 models with the same problem.

I replaced mine with a louder horn for a couple bucks so it wasn't a big deal.

Is it gray or blue?

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Blue with black frame. I will check the horn thanks. I checked it today and man you aint lying that thing sounds so skimpy. meeeeep meeeeeeep. hahahaha I was laughing in my helmet. I will loctite when I get home. I just cut some .32 T-3 aluminum plates to use for the rear after market turnsignals I got. Going to move the rears up to the front and put the smaller ones in the back. Seems like it will be a better fit/finish like that.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ok so got the bike in my garage and got home from work. Changed out the turn signals in the front. I was going to swap them, but under the flush mounts there were plastic bushings that fit the hole perfect, so I just installed the new ones up front. Wired up no problems. Then I put the bike on a rear stand and put a jack under the bike. Then loosened the upper and lower triples. I have a line in the middle of my garage and managed to get the forks and tires and triple straight again. Bike is now done and will go to safety in the morning. I will post up pics soon. Thanks for all the comments. I can't wait to ride it.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts