Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,625 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In need of some driving lights (headlights), looking at doing a custom setup rather than the very few pre-made setups. From what I've read, PIAA lights seem to make adequette light as the only source of light, but come at a price of 150-200$ for a set (see www.piaa.com). Theres a few other brands I saw while in the process of searching for PIAA lights. There is Pilot lights, Hella, and Optronics(sp). All of them significantly cheaper (50-100$). Basically, I know the rule is you get what you pay for, but are PIAA lights THAT much better in terms of price?

·
Registered
6,503 Posts
PIAA makes good stuff, but first I'd try Sylvania Xtra Vision bulbs. I ride a 2001 naked, commute to work 108 miles round trip. Most of the ride is on unlit interstate with very little traffic. The single headlight gives me plenty of light to run 80 MPH (actual speed) in comfort. Plenty of reach, great pattern, good color.

·
Premium Member
6,360 Posts
Nate, I can't comment on Pilot and Optronics since I've never even heard of them, but Hella's are just as good as PIAA in most cases.
The only reason I used the units I did was I won them on eBay for less than half of retail because the instructions were in Japanese and they were a discontinued model. No way I would have thought about buying them anywhere close to retail. I did want a brand name for the ease of finding parts if needed.

Considering you're building a new headlight system from scratch, who says who have to have a matched pair? You can often pick up PIAA's for a song when one was damaged or missing. Go with a fog for low and a driving pattern for the high beam.

·
Registered
1,270 Posts
andyauger said:
PIAA makes good stuff, but first I'd try Sylvania Xtra Vision bulbs.  I ride a 2001 naked, commute to work 108 miles round trip.  Most of the ride is on unlit interstate with very little traffic.  The single headlight gives me plenty of light to run 80 MPH (actual speed) in comfort.  Plenty of reach, great pattern, good color.
Personally, I think the Xtra-vision bulbs are a bunch of hype. They are no better than the other 55/60 watt bulbs on the market.

Maybe try this site out: http://www.rallylights.com/hella/H4.asp

·
Premium Member
4,625 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
MagpieTear said:
Considering you're building a new headlight system from scratch, who says who have to have a matched pair? You can often pick up PIAA's for a song when one was damaged or missing. Go with a fog for low and a driving pattern for the high beam.
Actually yeah I would consider mismatched setup. I dont have a set design yet, looking more towards the cost of parts first. I'd definately go for one driving and one fog if I can find them seperated like that. One round 2-3" light and a flat foglight might actually work perfectly (in my head).

At autozone there are 55w Pilot lights for about 40-50$. Size is important too, I cant use a lamp housing much bigger than 3", prefer 2-3" like the PIAA 1100x or 004xt but at 170-200$ a set thats out of the question.

Andy, I had two of the Sylvania blubs in my Bates headlights (sold now) and they were decent, but I'm looking for a completely new light setup, so bulbs alone wont work.

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
Piaa sucks ass and melts connectors. Sylvania Silverstars on the other hand are kickass.

·
Registered
71 Posts
i used philips vision plus, another good brand.

sylvania silverstars i think people recommend the euro version over the american version cause it is better in light output or something. been awhile since i researched bulbs.

and yah, piaa are like hit and miss or something, my friend went though like 3 sets of piaa in his cars. heh

G

·
Go over to www.sport-touring.net and do a search, you'll find more information on driving lights than you can imagine. The good stuff is gonna cost some money and is worth it in the long run.

Top 3 out there are

1.) Motolights - these suckers are the best out there and at $300+, they damn well should be. www.motolight.com

2.) Saeng Night Cutters - a little cheaper than the motolights. Have heard good things about them.

3.) PIAA 1100X - Good quality lights, cheaper than the above 2.

I'm personally going with the motolights. They are about the only lights out there that look like they came from the factory. They have a trick caliper mount that puts the light low so it doesn't bother oncoming vehicles and they have a wide spread pattern to light up the sides of the road. If you live in deer country like I do, and ride at night, driving lights are essential for survival.

·
Premium Member
4,625 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
lkm said:
Piaa sucks ass and melts connectors.  Sylvania Silverstars on the other hand are kickass.
I think some of ya are not reading the thread...as I'm not talking about bulbs here.

·
Premium Member
11,333 Posts
evil, I considered auxillary lighting once upon a time, the biggest problem I found was mounting, most lights are designed to be mounted on a cage bumper it seems, and mounting on a bike would require a bracket rather than directly mounting them to the forks

I found that Hella 5000's the mounting bracket can sping to any angle in the bezel, but they are a huge reflector, good lighting for sure, but kinda big to mount on a bike

bigger reflectors are more efficient than projector type

as far as PIAA's being best cause they are pricey, I will ask you this question, are Harleys the best motorcycle

·
Premium Member
4,625 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
RandyO said:
as far as PIAA's being best cause they are pricey, I will ask you this question, are Harleys the best motorcycle
Haha, right on.

I have no problem fabricating a bracket and whatnot, however these are going to be my primary lights, rather than aux. So I'm looking primarily for lamps that are approx 3" or less that will throw light out the farthest distance. For lowbeam close lighting I'll simply use a fog light or whatever, but thats not important as of now. I'd be happy with a lamp setup that is on par with stock basically.

·
Premium Member
162 Posts
I like the way the motolight look but dont have the $$ to spend on them right now

·
Registered
40 Posts
http://www.rallylights.com/detail.aspx?ID=1404 this site is two days old, and everything is saying it's out of stock but in fact everything is in stock. go to the drop down for wattage and pick 70/65 watt bulbs. also see more info on the old website called hyper H4 bulb by osram:
"This bulb is in the same high-efficacy family as our popular 64217 (65W H7). Extremely high performance from a bulb that is only very slightly above standard wattage. Excellent compatibility with the smaller, less heat-resistant headlamps and with stock vehicle wiring.

These bulbs are getting rave reviews from our customers, especially those who ride motorcycles and other vehicles with stock wiring."

·
Registered
4,657 Posts
Didn't one of the mods and/or lifers on this board buy both PIAA and a hella knockoff of the PIAA lights, take a bunch f pictures, and return the 8X as expensive PIAAS because they were no better then the Hella/ optilux ones?

·
Premium Member
11,333 Posts
Didn't one of the mods and/or lifers on this board buy both PIAA and a hella knockoff of the PIAA lights, take a bunch f pictures, and return the 8X as expensive PIAAS because they were no better then the Hella/ optilux ones?

more likely the other way around, Hella is a lot older (been around since 1908- 100 years) and more well known worldwide company than PIAA (only been around since the mid 60s)

Optilux is Hella's lowers cost/quality brand, high end Hella lamps cost just as much as PIAAs

·
Registered
4,657 Posts
more likely the other way around, Hella is a lot older (been around since 1908- 100 years) and more well known worldwide company than PIAA (only been around since the mid 60s)

Optilux is Hella's lowers cost/quality brand, high end Hella lamps cost just as much as PIAAs
Yeah, that's what I meant by "hella/ optilux". Point stands that he was comparing hella made optilux (or some other fairly inexpensive light) to PIAA lights costing much more. I think he mounted them on his forks, if that rings a bell for anyone. PIAA stuff is pretty pricey, regardless of how good (or not) it is.

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
http://www.rallylights.com/detail.aspx?ID=1404 this site is two days old, and everything is saying it's out of stock but in fact everything is in stock. go to the drop down for wattage and pick 70/65 watt bulbs. also see more info on the old website called hyper H4 bulb by osram:
"This bulb is in the same high-efficacy family as our popular 64217 (65W H7). Extremely high performance from a bulb that is only very slightly above standard wattage. Excellent compatibility with the smaller, less heat-resistant headlamps and with stock vehicle wiring.

These bulbs are getting rave reviews from our customers, especially those who ride motorcycles and other vehicles with stock wiring."
I read this exact post in another thread. Why is this site getting pushed so hard all of a sudden. Someone else metioned it multiple times in this thread. I smell spam.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts