Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
200 vs 300mm focal length- how big of a difference? im basically looking to see if anyone has side-by-side comparison shots at these 2 focal lengths. currenly my longest glass is the nikon 55-200, but im looking to extend my reach with the 70-300 mainly for wildlife shots. would the additional 100mm make a big enough difference to justify the ~$500 price tag?

·
Premium Member
705 Posts

·
Registered
286 Posts
Do eiher of you guys know anythign about the Olypus Evolt 510? I picked up one for my dad at Circuit City's close out... How is it for a DSLR?

·
Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
the only problem with the tc's is that sooo much light is lost. right now at 200mm, im at f5.6. with a tc2x id be looking at f11 with no autofocus and probably lose some image quality.

also for a nikon tc2x you are looking at around 300 bucks which isnt too far off from the 300mm lens itself.

perhaps a 1.4 might get the job done. that would get me to 280mm and i wouldnt lose so much light.

i go up to the boundary waters/quetico every year and id like to get some closer shots of moose/black bear/ bald eagles. the 200 works fine when i sneak up close, but a little more range wouldnt hurt. especially with the bears

·
Premium Member
9,691 Posts
200 vs 300mm focal length- how big of a difference? im basically looking to see if anyone has side-by-side comparison shots at these 2 focal lengths. currenly my longest glass is the nikon 55-200, but im looking to extend my reach with the 70-300 mainly for wildlife shots. would the additional 100mm make a big enough difference to justify the ~$500 price tag?
Well if the 75-300 is a f5.6-6.3 it's gonna be real dark and real slow at the long end so that's a daylight only lens at best. I've shot with a 80-200 F2.8 lens with a 1.5x tele which gave me an effective 600mm focal length and was still pretty sharp and the AF still worked in daylight just fine.

So is that lens worth $500, sure but I'd sell the 55-200 since you've got a major overlap and you'll end up leaving the 55-200 at home most of the time. But what ever you get just make sure it's gonna be fast enough to capture and stop the action at a reasonable f stop and be sharp too.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts