Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

Phone Mounting Options?

13K views 16 replies 14 participants last post by  redskunk 
#1 ·
Wondering what people suggest for phone mounting? I've got a sena half helmet, but want to see the map or quickly pull over and use the phone if needed. It doesn't seem like there is much room, and I'm not wanting to spend 100 bucks. Appreciate your comments....

#2 ·
I have one like this Moozo bike handle bar bag. I like it because it does keep the phone handy for when I pull over, it has a little space for my work key card, etc. It isn't great for looking at a map...for that you would need something to hold it up high enough, keep the sun off and find a way to trick the screen into staying on. For mapping I think Garmin or TomTom has a MC friendly device that would pair with your Sena.

#4 ·
I use a RAM mount on my SV650S. It is attached to the left clip-on but places the phone above and mid-way between the fork tubes (in landscape). It is below the line of sight for the instrument cluster and tilts out of the way to access the ignition key. I will try to take a photo tomorrow.

#6 ·
#7 ·
I run a RAM mount. Originally used the bar mounting, but it blocked the view of the cluster. I purchased the gas filler ring mount and really like the position of that.
Amazon carries a $15 Chinese knockoff tank mount that I used. Way cheaper than the $60 that RAM wants, but you still need the RAM claw and arm.

#10 ·
I can second the RAM mount - specifically the X-Grip

I've ridden with guys using weird suction mount and other styles (that have failed) but for me the holder needs to be completely positive. The X-Grip is a little ugly but it will take pretty much any phone or small GPS without issue.

On my SV it's a bar mount with a short arm. On the VStrom it's mounted to an AdventureTech "Over The Dash" GPS mount - I wish I could do that on the SV - having the phone up higher is better.

My brother has the "Quad Lock Case" which is okay if your phone is compatible. It's prettier but I don't believe it's as strong. Also, as a phone case it's not very protective for the phone, according to his experience anyway. And if you change devices, buy a new Quad Lock case. They don't have a case for any phone I have owned or likely will own.

On the SV I have an aftermarket copy with built in 12V to USB converter:

On the VStrom the AdventureTech mount with a 12V to USB converter under the dash:

God that screen is filthy.

The DR650 is waiting for the same as the SV.

#11 · (Edited)

I built myself a little panel out of black acrylic that mounts with brackets to the bolts that hold the gas tank. Got my 12V, 2xUSB, switches for extra lights and heated grips. My phone case has velcro on it, and so does the panel. The white velcro on the right is where I put my FasTrak device (for crossing bridges in CA). And that little red switch is for flipping the license plate :cool:
It may be not the prettiest thing, but it has worked really well for 4+ years now, never letting my phone come off and it's right where I need it. Also: it takes two bolts and a few SAE connectors to get it completely off.

Early on I added the stylus (on a string, so it wouldn't just fall off) so that I can pull over and quickly adjust things on the phone without taking my gloves off.
The top right corner of the plate is trimmed off, so that it wouldn't interfere with the brake fluid reservoir.

#13 · (Edited)
If you have a naked version I recommend the RAM ball that fits onto one of the handlebar bolts. Then get the shortest RAM double socket arm, and finally the Quadlock ball adaptor and one of their custom phone cases or the universal adaptor.
That to me is the most secure, versatile, and low-profile option.

RAM mounts are only secure if you have glued down the rubber tips and always use the extra rubber strap they provide. Should you forget to, the phone can come off if you hit a few potholes in a row (happened to me). That makes the RAM mount quite cumbersome to use.

None of the cheap holders can be trusted to always grip your phone in any circumstance. Quadlock will. They also have custom cases for the common flagship phones, integrated wireless chargers, and even vibration stoppers if you're worried about damaging the optical stabilizer mechanism of your phone's camera.

#14 ·
If you have a naked version I recommend the RAM ball that fits onto one of the handlebar bolts. Then get the shortest RAM double socket arm, and finally the Quadlock ball adaptor and one of their custom phone cases or the universal adaptor.
That to me is the most secure, versatile, and low-profile option..
Why not going with the quad lock bar mount and case directly?
I could fit it on my gen. 3 SV without the mounting arm (just the bar clamp and the locking head) right on the centre of my OEM handlebar.
It surely is the lowest profile you can get, and it blends nicely with the original dashboard: it almost seems to be a factory second LCD.
As far as secure locking, I don't think there's anything to say about the quad lock system.

Reactions: 1970mueller
#17 ·
Quadlock is not the cheapest, but it is the best. I had a RAM mount before, and it's cumbersome to put in place/remove quickly, securing it the right way, not pressing any side buttons, while you're on a group ride and fiddling with your damn phone. Someone stole my RAM from the bike — another downside if you park around opportunists / vengeful petty neighbors.

I went with the Quadlock and the center stem mount. It's beautifully compact, secure, puts the phone in the perfect place ('19 SV650X), can't be removed without an allen wrench, and is easy to use.

The downside is the damn cost.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.