Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
419 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm trying to run down a long standing problem on my '02 naked. It may be two seperate issues and I assume they are fuel related:

My bike idles erratically with the choke on, and setlles into a decent idle as soon as the choke is off (once it warmed up, of course).

Second, my bike surges at low throttle settings: like 1/8th throttle, any gear any speed. Rund perfectly fine at higher throttle settings.

Could these two be related? I assume the second problem is a with the pilot circuit, but I've had both carbs cleaned twice, and I still can't get it squared away. Carbs are synched. Any advice?

·
Registered
7,347 Posts
With the choke... How much are you using? Some people turn it all the way on every time then wonder why the bike runs funny sometimes. There's a reason it's not just a switch. Not saying that's your problem but it might be.

Also, if you've had the carbs cleaned this shouldn't be an issue, but the choke plunger chambers are prone to a little corrosio sometimes- I found my rear choke spring had corrodeded clear through and snapped, and so the choke was only half disengaging- made the rear cylinder very erratic once at full heat, sometimes.

Can you describe your surges a little more? Is it like an on/off effect of the throttle, or at steady throttle openings does the power vary?

·
Registered
419 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Northwind.  Choke is set only enough to start.  I never set it full on, or even halfway, though obviously the cable is adjustable so those positions vary bike to bike somewhat.

I will definitely check the choke springs at the end of the cable, as I kept the choke cables when I had the carbs cleaned and they didn't get serviced, other than I lubed them.

The surges are like an off/on throttle, major hesitation, though it's as if it were affecting only one cylinder, if you know what I mean.  I checked the electrics, but it's throttle position sensitive, which is why I was leaning towards a carb problem.  I certainly could be wrong.

Bike has 30K miles by the way.

·
Registered
7,347 Posts
The hoke ends can be a bugger to get off... The screws are the same soft ones as hold the carb bodies together, so be prepared for a fight :) Not too sure what the other problem would be to be honest.

G

·
I have the same surging problem with my 02 SVS. I tried ultrasonically cleaning the carbs, synced the carbs, turned the pilot jet screw out to 3.25 turns, and checked for vacuum leaks, but it still surges between off-idle and 1/8 throttle. Its just very annoying because it accelerates perfectly, idles perfectly, and goes 40+ perfectly.

I figured it had something to do with the fact that the bike sat for two years (it only has 1500 miles), but it seems like many people have this same problem. Has anyone successfully fixed it?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts