Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,615 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey gang. Last fall I put a lot of time and careful effort into killing an oil-weeping problem on my clutch cover. I pulled the cover, did a very thorough cleaning of both the cover and the case it mounts to, installed a fresh O-ring, and applied a thin film of black RTV silicone before buttoning it all back up.

And it's still weeping oil.

That's a plastic cover, and I'm starting to suspect that it's damaged or warped. I would have thought that being plastic it would conform well to the part it's mated to, but I've still got a film of oil appearing on the right side of the motor, so I don't know what to think anymore.

Has anyone ever had to replace one of these covers to resolve an oil leak?

·
Registered
2,069 Posts
I've got a good one if you want to try..I'll make it a good deal

·
Registered
91 Posts
Just wondering if you were supposed to put rtv on that o-ring. I don't have my service manual handy, but you should look.

Is it possible that the oil is coming from somewhere else? If not, maybe the cover is cracked somewhere that you can't see it. It is plastic, so who knows. A mechanic showed me once how to search for small oil leaks. He took some flour and dusted it on the area (after a thorough cleaning). The flour will stick to any oil. You can then see if it is tracking from somewhere else.

Good luck
Mike M.

·
Premium Member
5,615 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
No luck on mine, but I haven't given it a careful look since posting.

·
Registered
2,995 Posts
Since they're plastic, those covers will eventually warp after time. New o-rings and sealant of any kind will only go so far if the plastic is warped. Best way to find out is to pull the cover off and lay it on a flat surface. I'm pretty sure the plastic clutch covers aren't all that much $ wise, and aftermarket (aluminim) ones are available too.

·
Registered
261 Posts
Never had my cover off so don't take this as gospel, but I seem to recall reading something about being able to fix a warped clutch cover.

To see if it was warped you placed the cover on a piece of plate glass. The fix was to put some (very fine I assume) sand paper on a flat surface (the glass?) and rub the cover against it to even it out.

Anyone heard this? Maybe I dreamt it.

BTW, if it was a dream don't try it. My dreams are crazy sh!t.:confused2:

·
Registered
5,644 Posts
I have a cover that rocks slightly on our counter top. It does flatten out with the slightest pressure, so the warped cover theory is sort of questionable.

I wonder if the holes go all the way thru and maybe the oil is sneaking around the treads?

I've got one (with a clear window) if somebody wants to try a different cover.

·
Registered
799 Posts
I have a cover that rocks slightly on our counter top. It does flatten out with the slightest pressure, so the warped cover theory is sort of questionable.
only questionable thing is how much is your cover warped.
once they warp to much bolt ears are on angle and even tough it tightens against case there is not enough pressure on O-ring to seal.
Monarch is right, you can sand it down on big flat surface.
I have few stock ones around if anybody needs one.

·
Registered
5,644 Posts
I just looked at it and with a pad of Post It notes, I measured 8 sheets under one of the mounting lugs.

Maybe I should look at putting it on the lathe and truing up the mounting surface a bit, or doing the big sandpaper sheet trick.

·
Premium Member
5,615 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I've wanted a Woodcraft cover for a long time. I'm gonna order one tomorrow.

·
Premium Member
5,615 Posts
Discussion Starter #14

·
Premium Member
5,615 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Ordered today from Kneedragger.com. Black on black!
It arrived yesterday. I'm not that impressed with seeing so many milling marks left on the finish, but whatever - it's still a pretty cool-looking piece (although I think NRC cast covers look more badass but they don't make 'em for the SV for some reason).

Looking forward to putting it on the bike, hopefully it solves this stupid problem.

·
Premium Member
5,615 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I've put a few hundred miles on the bike since:

1) Replacing the cover & o-ring.
2) Scrubbing the bottom of the motor.
3) Cleaning the drain plug like crazy and putting it back in with a bit of RTV.
4) Giving the same remove-clean-RTV-replace treatment to the plug under the oil pump.

And I don't see any oil leaking from the motor.

I do see oil leaking from the left fork, though. ARRRRRRGHHHHH!!! Time for new seals.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts