Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
1,419 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What would be the best rear shock upgrade for the money for the SV650 Naked? I think im going to go with progressive front springs, so just wondering what would be the way to go with the rear shock?

·
Registered
1,419 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Penske Triple clicker, but I'm biased ;) Or you could just do a GSXR or 636 rear shock swap.
Im thinking about going with a GSXR shock swap, I think that would be the cheapest if I can find one.

·
Registered
1,419 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
best and cheapest arent terms that are exclusive to one another.

Instead of progressive fork springs just get some straight-rate springs from www.sonicsprings.com
Yea the sonic springs look pretty good. How much do you guys think a GSXR rear shock would cost, or some of the other performance shocks?

Should I go with 20W oil in the front or less? I have heard that a less weight oil such as 10w or 7w would give you better feel for the front end.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Yea the sonic springs look pretty good. How much do you guys think a GSXR rear shock would cost, or some of the other performance shocks?

Should I go with 20W oil in the front or less? I have heard that a less weight oil such as 10w or 7w would give you better feel for the front end.
GSXR - 30-60 used on Ebay
Ohlins, Penske, etc. - 800-1200 new depending on model or find one used for 500-600 and get a spring for your weight for another 100.

If you can swing the cost find a nice used or new Ohlins, Penske.

·
Registered
381 Posts
Used penske double--

IMO the triple is unnecessary on a SV650 especially for a street bike--

but if you have the money and like tinkering with things..

·
Registered
5,395 Posts

7 or 10w oil isn't thick enough for the damper rod forks in the SV, you won't have enough damping. 15w is the bare minimum, and if handling is a priority then 20w is the way to go.

Oh, and I recommend Sonic Springs too. The owner's kind of a jerk, but the springs are good. ;D

·
Registered
1,419 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Ok then ill probably go with the Sonic springs in the front with 20W oil. Im going to try and get a GSXR rear shock for under 100 if anybody knows of any. Also do I want a .90kg/mm or a .95kg/mm?

·
Registered
744 Posts
How heavy are you?

You might want to consider saving up and simply buying a good aftermarket shock instead of putting a GSXR one on there. You can buy a new Penske Sport shock from Traxxion Dynamics for $600 which is strung and valved for your weight, and will bolt right on. I've used the stock, a GSXR, and a Penske two-way, and as much of a jump it was in performance going from the stock to the GSXR, it's an even bigger jump going to a properly sprung Penske.

·
Registered
9,110 Posts
I just received a Cogent shock from Cogent Dynamics

www.motocd.com

Rick and Joyce were great to deal with. The shock is only adjustable for spring preload and rebound dampenenenenenenneing, but I figure the less variables in the equation the better for me. I'm slow, and am not a suspension wizard. It looks a quality bit of kit, and only cost me $501 shipped to my door (group buy price). It also has a small bit of height adjustability.

http://forum.svrider.com/showthread.php?t=96465

·
Registered
1,419 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Yea for that much money though, I would just put it twards a better bike. Im trying to get a rear shock for under 100. Thats why I am looking at just doing a GSXR swap. Dont get me wrong the SV is a great bike, but mines a 99. I just dont want to drop that kinda money into it right now. I wont get anything back for the bike and in a few years probably going to get a supersport. So just trying to get the best out of it right now without spending a whole ton of money.

·
Premium Member
11,333 Posts
my research had led me to the WP Fusion 4014 as the best performing rear shock

·
Registered
1,419 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Ok ive got everything figured out on what Im gonna get, Im going to go with the sonic front springs .95kg/mm, with the 20w oil. Then I think I am just going to leave the rear spring stock for right now, I just dont want to drop that much money into it at the time being. Thanks for all your help guys!

·
site supporter
6,095 Posts
best rear shock upgrade for the money
Without saying how much "the money" you're talking about, your question makes no sense. I did a 636 shock last year. It cost about $60 and improved the ride and feeling of my SV. An Elka or Penske would be better. Outrageously better. But that would be boucoup de bucks.

·
Registered
8,290 Posts
First, you don't want progressive front springs; you want linear. Read this on Sonic Springs' website, as to why:

http://www.sonicsprings.com/catalog/straight_vs_prog_tech_article.php

In fact, you want Sonic Springs. PM RichDesmond, he'll answer all of your questions and hook you up right.

As for the rear, if you can find a used high-end race shock (Fox, Penske, Ohlins) for cheap, that would be ideal. Try the WERA and NESBA boards.

None of the OEM swaps for the first gen SV are ideal; best bets are the Kawasaki shocks -- 636, ZX10, ZX12, ZX14.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts