Registered
904 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
are a pain in the @$$ to clean!

Just thought I share.

·
Registered
44 Posts
How well do they hold up in a slide? The jacket I was wearing when I went down (Icon neodaytona) had perf on half the sleeves, and the perf part nearly wore through, while the normal leather was fine. I wonder if it's just Icon's lower quality leather/construction?

·
Registered
904 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
How well do they hold up in a slide? The jacket I was wearing when I went down (Icon neodaytona) had perf on half the sleeves, and the perf part nearly wore through, while the normal leather was fine. I wonder if it's just Icon's lower quality leather/construction?
I haven't tested mine (teknic Chicane) but most of the suits that the racers wear are perferated and I haven't seen any of the torn through when I've had to pick them up off the track. Granted the perferations tend to be on the front, and you don't often see a guy low side and slide on his belly.

·
Registered
605 Posts
Really? Are they worse than Textile?

(My Joe Rocket Meteor really collects the bugs on summer rides, and the texture is such that I have to use a brush of some sort to clean it....which I'm sure isn't good for the waterproofing coating)

I'm looking to get a leather jacket this year, and was thinking I'd want perf...but maybe not?

·
Registered
381 Posts
Did you use leather protectant and conditioner when you first got it? Makes it easier to clean if the protectant was previously applied. Helps to seal the leather against stains. I just used the stuff I got with our $3k leather sectional. I figure when it comes time to clean the jacket, I'll just use the leather cleaner that came with the sectional too.

<threadjack>

Depending on how warm it gets in OR, you may opt to go with the non-perforated jackets. Newenough has a bargain basement sale on the Teknic Lightning jackets for $99+shipping. Their Teknic Chicane perforated jackets are now just $149.

I just bought a Lightning in black and it isnt too bad at 75*. Much warmer and I'll elect to go with my perforated or mesh jacket.

·
Registered
904 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Did you use leather protectant and conditioner when you first got it? Makes it easier to clean if the protectant was previously applied. Helps to seal the leather against stains.
Yea, I was doing my yearly cleaning and conditioning of my leathers (3 jackets, 1 set of pants). The perforated is just annoying because you have to clean the bugs out to the perforations, and can't be so liberal with the conditioner as it just goes in all the perforations as well.

The leather is a little more annoying than the textile mesh ones, but only because you can't just hose them down. Both my old Icon Tarmac and Joe Rocket Phoenix can be tossed in the laundry machine (on gentle) to clean, can't do that with leather.

·
Registered
750 Posts
If you have bugs and grit in the holes I found that using a soft brush (tooth brush, kitchen brush) will make cleaning a ton easier.

·
Registered
381 Posts
What about using a warm damp towel to wipe off the bugs and some compressed air to blow the guts through the perforations?

·
Registered
2,778 Posts
Really? Are they worse than Textile?

(My Joe Rocket Meteor really collects the bugs on summer rides, and the texture is such that I have to use a brush of some sort to clean it....which I'm sure isn't good for the waterproofing coating)

I'm looking to get a leather jacket this year, and was thinking I'd want perf...but maybe not?
You can easily throw your textiles in the washer.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts