Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
1,673 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, like most of you, I had replaced my totally crappy (especially if you are not an anorexic midget) stock shock with a better GSXR-1K unit shortly after buying my SVS a couple of years ago. I had this unit re-sprung for my weight, but not re-valved like the offerings from SVRaceshop or anything.

While it proved to be a big improvement over stock, I always wondered if one of the high end units (Penske, Ohlins) would be much better.

Of course, the expense of these shocks had me waiting and watching ebay for a suitable unit. I was reluctant to buy new, due to the cost and the fact that I?m older now and don?t ride anywhere near as hard as I used to in my younger days. I don?t race anymore and the last track day I did convinced me that I?m better off leaving this to you younger, and more fit, guys. The memories of severely broken limbs have had a lasting effect on my psyche, it seems.

Well, my patience wore out and I decided to bite the bullet and purchase a Penske 8981 (double clicker) from Lindemann Engineering. I got a decent deal ($660.00) on the unit and it was set up as per my specifications.

Wow, all I can say is this is the single best mod I have ever done to this bike. Once you get one of these properly dialed in, it is a complete revelation even if you are not on the track. The bike feels incredible now, it even has improved the feel up front (I have newer springs and RaceTech emulators). The power transmission to the pavement is noticeably improved and the bike is much more stable at any speed. It soaks up crappy pavement without a hiccup, and definitely increase your cornering confidence.

I realize this is an expensive option for most people, but I guarantee it is worth every penny. If you can get together the scratch, don?t waste your time with the ?other bikes shock? route, this is the only way to go.

·
Registered
8,152 Posts
Congrats Tony....now you can look at how nice it is till next year, when you can ride again. :D

·
Registered
1,673 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
DougZ said:
Congrats Tony....now you can look at how nice it is till next year, when you can ride again.  :D
Mr. Zebro,

Some of us ride year round.

·
Super Moderator
8,820 Posts
Amen to that, however I still don't have my Penske dialed in :(

Runs perfect until I hit rough pavement at high speed such as concrete patches on an overhead bridge at 80 mph.
Hits my a$$ so hard it brings tears to my eyes ... I have to get my butt off the seat for that section of highway.

My truck or car just rumbles through that section with barely a ripple in my coffee cup :)

As for the handling .. it improved it by 500 percent! Bike feels really planted for everything else that I do.

I will be bringing my bike over to Peter Kates and see what he can do for me.

·
Premium Member
622 Posts
Tony...i have the same setup and it is a vast improvement.  What settings do you have on your Penske for everyday street riding?

·
Registered
1,673 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
JPDD said:
Tony...i have the same setup and it is a vast improvement.  What settings do you have on your Penske for everyday street riding?
Compression is set at 2, rebound 4 clicks up from mid.  Harder riding I switch the compression up to 3 and 2 more clicks up for rebound.

Here is how I have been taught in the past to set one of these bad boys up properly, always worked for me...

1) Preload, VERY IMPORTANT, set your sag first. I always set preload for 1" to 1.25" of sag, making sure front and rear are equal.
2) Compression, starting at the mid setting, increase 1 click at a time until it gets harsh, then back off 1 click.
3) Rebound, starting at mid, add 4 clicks at a time until rear starts to feel skittish (especially under heavy braking), then back off unti it goes away.

·
Premium Member
622 Posts
tonyjuliano said:
Compression is set at 2, rebound 4 clicks up from mid.  Harder riding I switch the compression up to 3 and 2 more clicks up for rebound.

Here is how I have been taught in the past to set one of these bad boys up properly, always worked for me...

1) Preload, VERY IMPORTANT, set your sag first.  I always set preload for 1" to 1.25" of sag, making sure front and rear are equal.
2) Compression, starting at the mid setting, increase 1 click at a time until it gets harsh, then back off 1 click.
3) Rebound, starting at mid, add 4 clicks at a time until rear starts to feel skittish (especially under heavy braking), then back off unti it goes away.
Thanks...i'm at 3 Compression and 2 clicks up from mid.   
Currently said:
Runs perfect until I hit rough pavement at high speed such as concrete patches on an overhead bridge at 80 mph.
Hits my a$$ so hard it brings tears to my eyes ... I have to get my butt off the seat for that section of highway.
I'm not sure you can really dial that out without sacrificing other qualities of your ride.  You could set the compression on the lowest setting but the minute you have to make a turn of any significance your not going to have a lot to work with. 

·
Registered
1,673 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Currently said:
Amen to that,  however I still don't have my Penske dialed in   :(

Runs perfect until I hit rough pavement at high speed such as concrete patches on an overhead bridge  at 80 mph.
Sounds like too much compression damping and/or too little rebound. Assuming preload is set correctly.

·
Registered
397 Posts
Got one on the way for my new to me 01.Glad to see I might have made the right choice :)

·
Registered
1,673 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
dbcooper said:
Got one on the way for my new to me 01.Glad to see I might have made the right choice :)
Curt,

Believe me, you'll be impressed!

·
Registered
397 Posts
Be interesting to compare it to the Ohlins on CJ's 03.

·
Super Moderator
8,820 Posts
tonyjuliano said:
Sounds like too much compression damping and/or too little rebound. Assuming preload is set correctly.
Compression is now at three, I brought it down to one with a little improvement.
Brought that back to 3.

Preload in the front is 30-32mm
Preload in the back is now at 40 but has been set from 0 to 30 mm
I brought it up to 40 out of frustration.

Rebound I have never touched.

When I bounce my bike, it no longer bounces equally due to the differences in sag.
I will bring it back to the 30mm range in the next couple of days to equal the bounce response.

It is my only complaint about the suspension. I have been told that the triple clicker would not fix this either.

On the positive side, that bike is really planted and predictable in curves and handling.
Not the same bike at all.

·
Registered
1,673 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Currently said:
Compression is now at three, I brought it down to one with a little improvement.
Brought that back to 3.

Preload in the front is 30-32mm
Preload in the back is now at 40 but has been set from 0 to 30 mm
I brought it up to 40 out of frustration.

Rebound I have never touched.

When I bounce my bike, it no longer bounces equally due to the differences in sag.
I will bring it back to the 30mm range in the next couple of days to equal the bounce response.

It is my only complaint about the suspension.  I have been told that the triple clicker would not fix this either.

On the positive side, that bike is really planted and predictable in curves and handling.
Not the same bike at all.
Get your sag straightened out first, then start from scratch. Is the unit sprung correctly? How much do you weigh and what spring rate is currently on the shock?

·
Registered
3,399 Posts
tonyjuliano said:
Mr. Zebro,

Some of us ride year round.
some people get poked in the booty by other men as well... :p

·
Super Moderator
8,820 Posts
tonyjuliano said:
Get your sag straightened out first, then start from scratch. Is the unit sprung correctly? How much do you weigh and what spring rate is currently on the shock?
I weigh 220, at 6' 2" I have to pull the shock out to find out what the spring rate is.
I ordered it from SVRaceshop and gave them my info and I never thought of doublechecking the values.

Getting the sag set correctly will take about 5 to ten minutes.
I documented how many turns it took to get from one setting to another as I have a running commentary
in a logbook on what I am doing with the suspension. You may be right, my spring may be too stiff.
I also have a nifty tool that I made that records sag measurements.

Funny thing is the shock feels perfect for everything except high speed compression.
I will be bringing the bike down to the local suspension guru in our area and have him take a look at it.

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
wonderjosh said:
some people get poked in the booty by other men as well...  :p
That reminds me, isn't your B-Day tommorrow. ;D

·
Registered
1,673 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Currently said:
I weigh 220, at 6' 2"  I have to pull the shock out to find out what the spring rate is. 
I ordered it from SVRaceshop and gave them my info and I never thought of doublechecking the values.

Getting the sag set correctly will take about 5 to ten minutes.
I documented how many turns it took to get from one setting to another as I have a running commentary
in a logbook on what I am doing with the suspension.  You may be right, my spring may be too stiff.
I also have a nifty tool that I made that records sag measurements. 

Funny thing is the shock feels perfect for everything except high speed compression.
I will be bringing the bike down to the local suspension guru in our area and have him take a look at it.
If your spring is over 570 then I guess that would be your issue. This shock is capable of being set up very plush if it's sprung and valved correctly.

·
Registered
3,399 Posts
lkm said:
That reminds me, isn't your B-Day tommorrow.   ;D
give it to me baby uh-huh uh-huh :-*

·
Registered
8,152 Posts
WTF Tony..its Z I E B R O.....lol ;D

1 - 20 of 27 Posts