Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey gang,

Just to let you know/give you a heads up. I'm taking a class to get my PA. State Inspectors License. My instructor went to a meeting with PennDOT last week, and relayed some info to us, which I'm passing on.

Inspectors are going to be required to recert every 5 years, if you got your license 1983, or later. You are allowed to either self study, or take a class. Either way, you must pass a 25 question written exam. If you fail self study, you must take a class. If you fail class, you must totally retake a class, with hands on exam also.

On to the big ones..

1) All counties which are not emissions inspection, there is now a visual inspection for ALL vehicles under 10,000 pounds. Any related emissions items, MUST be on the vehicle, and hooked up!

2) License plates MUST be readable from 50 feet!! (this is to all the fender elimination kits) No part of the license plate is to be "unreadable". (aka license plate frames, and the smoked covers).

3) LED lights must have 51% of lights operable.

4) All lights/lenses must have 3.5 sq. inches of reflectivity. (the tiny arrow turnsignals)

5) check for DOT/SAE lights. (aka LED, blue headlights, etc..)

6) PennDOT and police getting together for deciebel meters. Watch out for loud pipes. No inspection criteria for failing a loud exhaust.
Yet....

Appearantly PennDOT is getting serious, and they are serious about implementing the penalties if caught. They are also upping their "undercover" officers.

Don't shoot the messenger, just passing it along.

·
Premium Member
6,199 Posts
They have to fill the budger gap somehow :rolleyes:

Thanks for the heads up. I can't say I'll be too upset if they crack down on loud pipes though.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Believe me, this is a very partial list. I just threw the things motorcycle related at ya. I'm still waiting to see if they are going to do anything with the fog/driving lights. I'm sure it's in the works too.
Are the extra lights on the front of a bike, fog lights, or driving lights?

Fog lights on only with low beam.
Driving lights on only with high beam.
Distance apart.
Distance from ground.

You get my drift..

·
Registered
1,574 Posts
Maybe I won't sell my stock muffler after all... may need to duct tape it back on when I get inspected.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Sorry, Mudsurfer.

Duct tape is not an approved attachment device for exhaust, or batteries. lol
Know of anybody that has used one of the plug off plates, for the emissions?? Does the exhaust have an EPA rating?? Other than race only?? lol

Don't forget the aftermarket headlight assemblies. Not DOT approved.

·
Registered
1,576 Posts
isn't it up to the inspector whether or not to be strict with the statutes? i hope you're one of the good ones. not for my sake, i'm not even close.

·
Registered
1,574 Posts
Everybody should make friends with their local inspector, so they will give em a break.

·
Registered
108 Posts
I just got mine inspected here in NY today after a bunch of mods. Had a Yosh RS3 on there without the silencer in it and a sticker on that says "For Race Use Only", they didn't even blink.

Hopefully it stays that way.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Most of these have been in effect for some years now. Just that they haven't paid that much attention to the motorcycle shops. That's supposed to change.

I'm not saying the sky is falling, just giving you guys a heads up. Especially any inspectors that may be out there.

·
Registered
41 Posts
New on the market, Fender Elim kit reinstalled!!! Sometimes it becomes annoying, still rules is rules. I hope they grandfather it in somehow... A lot of folks with the rear lights changed up will be upset all I have in the back are the little led's on the elim kit... the plates mounted to the battery box!!! Guess I should get it in early this year maybe hope for a laxed inspection.
Anyone do the front turn sig kit that swaps the running lights for the turn signals... IE flush mounts graphite covers over where the front lamps are mounted and re mounts the turn signals in the headlight where the running lights are??? I have th kit but havent done it yet, guess Ill wait till after inspection.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts