Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

Passing power on SV650

4K views 41 replies 31 participants last post by  WolfNman 
#1 ·
Ok. So I have been riding for a little bit. After my MSF class I bought a 2008 250r Ninja. I love the bike but I am a bigger guy. 6'5" 220lbs. I love the 250r for what it is and it really helped me learn to ride a motorcycle. I am ready to move up and pass the 250r torch to my wife but I am looking for a bike that has some power when you need to pass. When on the 250 going about 50 or so behind a slow moving vehicle on a back country road I really have to check around the vehicle because the 250 lacks the power to just drop a gear and pass someone at those speeds.

I have gotten it to 105 before and it can move but it just takes a bit to get up there. I have moved out of the lane to pass and should have had plenty of room but the power just wasn't there and I had to break and move back behind a truck because I wouldn't be able to complete a safe pass before traffic in the other lane reached me.

I love the way the new 650sf look and that is what I want to get but I just wanted to make sure that I would have enough under me to make those kind of passes. I like the gsxr and r6's and stuff but I don't like the hit to my insurance. So I was just hoping to get some insight from people who ride them on their power.

Thanks.

Jesse

See less See more
#6 ·
Diddo to everything that's been said. Plenty of power for passing or anything else you want to do...or don't want to do. The biggest testament to the SV is the variety of people you see riding it. On this forum you'll find everyone from newbies to veteran racers that all swear by it.

#11 ·
cool. Sounds like the 650 is a good choice. I love my 250 but I just needed a bit more. I was looking at all the bikes that are in the neighborhood of the sv650 and I think it looks the best by far. I like the look of the super sports and that is why I like the full fairing 650's that are coming out. I also really like the more aggressive ergos on the the sv. I don't really want to be straight up like I would be on a FZ6. Next stop is the dealer to sit on one and maybe get a short test ride.

#17 ·
200# 6'2"..
Rode my friends 250 and my other friends new HD 1200 sportster, yesterday.. The SV is better then both in "Twist and go" and handling.. The 250 was light, but the bigger tires and slight increase in weight of the SV makes it feel more planted then the 250. Bumps don't bounce on the SV.. The HD was a back aching, vibration riddled, bus turning POS; You would have to pay me to ride that again.. SV beat them both, easily in twist and go, and 30mph - 60mph -70 -80..

#18 ·
well it may just be that my brain is set to only a certain amount of acceleration before it turns to scaredy cat, but I dont see too much difference moving from a 250 scooter to the sv, i guess my brain is just telling my wrist to be really gentle and smooth so that i dont have a problem in the transition.

#19 ·
Compared to a 250 or lower, the SV feels stupid fast. The first couple times I really got on the throttle was exciting and memorable to say the least. I especially love when I have to drive somewhere and then I get to come home and jump on the bike. Compared to my gf Chevy Cobalt the SV is a fighter jet!

#23 · (Edited)
I weigh 245+, plus gear. I ride mostly secondary roads and twisties. I have never really felt a need for more power. Passing is not an issue. The only reason to buy a more powerful bike would be for two-up touring on the superslab. (And who wants to do that??)

In fact, I don't buy into this idea of an SV being a "starter" bike. Modern sport bikes have become crazy fast, but that doesn't mean a mere 68-70 hp bike is "slow". (To put things in perspective - at least for you "old timers", the SV has the same hp:weight ratio as the early 70's Kawasaki 750 Mach IV.)

Buy an SV. Upgrade the suspension with the appropriate weight springs and better damping. Put a decent exhaust on it but otherwise, leave the engine stock. You won't be disappointed.

#25 ·
You probably don't need me to say anything because I would only agree with everyone else who have responded already. I got an SV because I wanted a "starter" sportbike. Mind you, the term "starter" is debatable as the SV has plenty of power for the street and it is not too bad at the track. True, you aren't going to be able to pass too many other bikes out there...in a straight line. I have passed a few I-4s on some of the more curvy tracks and I've seen veteran riders on SVs and other V-twins embarrass cats on I-4 600 and 1000cc's on some tracks and in the canyons. Trust us. The SV is the way to go.

Hey, I'm about to buy 1000cc myself, but I have no intention on giving up my SV anytime soon.

#27 ·
You're only going to pass another SS bike in the curve if you're a better rider than them.

I've passed GSX-R6s and ZX-10's in cloverleafs, but only because they weren't comfortable going that fast.

What's the fastest you can go in a 45mph curve?

#28 ·
I take the SV 2 up quite a bit and with my girlfriends and my weight combined...PLUS gear we are pushing 360 on the **** thing and she still hauls ass. I just have to watch those shifts to make sure I don't get the front wheel in the air when I take off from a stop (which has begun to happen).

Yeah I don't think you have anything to worry about in the power dept.

#36 ·
When she is riding along side me I wouldn't be trying to pass trucks. But when she isn't with me or 2 up I would like a bit more power than a 250 offers. I also would just like to progress to my next bike and I think the sv is a great option. I don't need the I4 hitting 160+ mph. I don't see myself going to a track anytime soon, and I would never need that much on the street.

#37 ·
sv's have good low-mid range power... plenty of it if your riding street and doing c level trackdays. but once you start the a to b level track days, going against 600's, 750's, & 1000's, it does lack the high speed power at high rpm... the straights are usually where i get passed and its usually an inline 600, 750, or 1000.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.