Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok. So I have been riding for a little bit. After my MSF class I bought a 2008 250r Ninja. I love the bike but I am a bigger guy. 6'5" 220lbs. I love the 250r for what it is and it really helped me learn to ride a motorcycle. I am ready to move up and pass the 250r torch to my wife but I am looking for a bike that has some power when you need to pass. When on the 250 going about 50 or so behind a slow moving vehicle on a back country road I really have to check around the vehicle because the 250 lacks the power to just drop a gear and pass someone at those speeds.

I have gotten it to 105 before and it can move but it just takes a bit to get up there. I have moved out of the lane to pass and should have had plenty of room but the power just wasn't there and I had to break and move back behind a truck because I wouldn't be able to complete a safe pass before traffic in the other lane reached me.

I love the way the new 650sf look and that is what I want to get but I just wanted to make sure that I would have enough under me to make those kind of passes. I like the gsxr and r6's and stuff but I don't like the hit to my insurance. So I was just hoping to get some insight from people who ride them on their power.

Thanks.

Jesse

·
Registered
2,363 Posts
i am 200lbs, and 99% of the time i dont even drop a gear to pass...just twist the wrist and she goes from 60 to 80 plenty fast to get around vehicles.

If i really need to get somewhere quick...drop a gear or two and go.....

Has plenty of passing power AFAIC

·
Registered
522 Posts
Diddo to everything that's been said. Plenty of power for passing or anything else you want to do...or don't want to do. The biggest testament to the SV is the variety of people you see riding it. On this forum you'll find everyone from newbies to veteran racers that all swear by it.

·
Registered
667 Posts
i am 200lbs, and 99% of the time i dont even drop a gear to pass...just twist the wrist and she goes from 60 to 80 plenty fast to get around vehicles.

If i really need to get somewhere quick...drop a gear or two and go.....

Has plenty of passing power AFAIC
^what he said if your over 5k just give it a twist. I'm 230 +gear

·
Registered
5,174 Posts
No problem with passing power whatsoever, even in 6th at low RPMs at street/freeway legal speeds and a bit beyond.

There's great power down below (~4k) in comparison and you don't even have to wind it up first.

·
Registered
789 Posts
^what he said if your over 5k just give it a twist. I'm 230 +gear
+1!!!
I'm 6'0 @ 220# (no gear), and I'm able to get in front of cars if I see in opening in the adjacent lane... at least faster than my car, that is.

·
site supporter
6,095 Posts
The SV has plenty of real world power for the street. However, stay away from intergalactic space, brecause the SV cannot achieve

Ludicrous Speed!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
cool. Sounds like the 650 is a good choice. I love my 250 but I just needed a bit more. I was looking at all the bikes that are in the neighborhood of the sv650 and I think it looks the best by far. I like the look of the super sports and that is why I like the full fairing 650's that are coming out. I also really like the more aggressive ergos on the the sv. I don't really want to be straight up like I would be on a FZ6. Next stop is the dealer to sit on one and maybe get a short test ride.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Yeah and it's a really good rocket ship!!! Lol I loved it when I made the switch from my 250

·
Registered
209 Posts
The SV is the BEST all around bike. Take it from someone who used to have an SV but moved to a SS. The SV is comfy, agile, and quick. Great starter bike, great advanced bike, it really is that great of a bike.

·
Registered
237 Posts
200# 6'2"..
Rode my friends 250 and my other friends new HD 1200 sportster, yesterday.. The SV is better then both in "Twist and go" and handling.. The 250 was light, but the bigger tires and slight increase in weight of the SV makes it feel more planted then the 250. Bumps don't bounce on the SV.. The HD was a back aching, vibration riddled, bus turning POS; You would have to pay me to ride that again.. SV beat them both, easily in twist and go, and 30mph - 60mph -70 -80..

·
Banned
1,304 Posts
well it may just be that my brain is set to only a certain amount of acceleration before it turns to scaredy cat, but I dont see too much difference moving from a 250 scooter to the sv, i guess my brain is just telling my wrist to be really gentle and smooth so that i dont have a problem in the transition.

·
Registered
3,585 Posts
Compared to a 250 or lower, the SV feels stupid fast. The first couple times I really got on the throttle was exciting and memorable to say the least. I especially love when I have to drive somewhere and then I get to come home and jump on the bike. Compared to my gf Chevy Cobalt the SV is a fighter jet!

·
Registered
151 Posts
well it may just be that my brain is set to only a certain amount of acceleration before it turns to scaredy cat, but I dont see too much difference moving from a 250 scooter to the sv, i guess my brain is just telling my wrist to be really gentle and smooth so that i dont have a problem in the transition.
Scooter?....You wuss...lol just messing with you man!

1 - 20 of 42 Posts