Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
2,392 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have only ridden with groups a couple times. Today, the group I was riding with passed a guy in the same lane (due to double lines). Is that socially acceptable?

I'm sure this has been asked tons of times on the forum. A link to another thread is sufficient.

·
Registered
1,633 Posts
First off, it's against the law....and second....it is a dangerous thing to do. The guy being passed is not intending to have some one pass him in his own lane and can be startled when someone does this.
Another thing that "cheeses" me off is when a bike tailgates you....I mean to the point that they are in your blind spot...which on a bike is quite small. I had this happen to me and since I was in the lead and in the left track position I looked in my mirror to see how far back the guy behind me was so I could take a more center line in a curve..I saw a bike...but it was the third guy in line.....as I drifted into the center of the turn I saw the bike in my right mirror......he was RIGHT there! To the point where it startled me and I "bumped" back into the left track quite quickly. :angry1:

·
Registered
5,174 Posts
It depends entirely how and where it was done. Best situation would be if the guy being passed moved over to allow passing.

I'm used to CA lane splitting though, and dealing with close encounters.

·
Registered
2,804 Posts
When I see bikes in my rear view mirror approaching I actually choose one side (either left or right) assuming they're going to pass me (which always do). Doesn't bother me that much, dunno about a large group tho...

·
Premium Member
518 Posts
you'd want to confirm your state's laws on this. in MN we can ride 2 bikes in a lane, so if you get the go-ahead from the guy you're passing, i'd say do it, carefully.

a.s.

·
Chief Greeter
28,482 Posts
Yeah, it's alright.

But the person passing has to read everything right, with no guarantee the person being passed is going to hold his line or move over.

·
Registered
406 Posts
a lot of the times, i like to just "cruise" so ocassionally, another rider, or group will catch up to me if it's a popular road. i usually pull over to the right side of the lane, slow down to the speed limit and wave them by so they can carry on at their pace.

if you pass me in my lane without receiving a go ahead from me, you'd better be long gone by the next red light or stop sign. it's so dangerous, it's not even funny. i hate it.

when riding in a group, i always adjust my lane positioning and distance in such a way that i can see the visor of the rider ahead in his mirror.

if i'm looking at his mirror, and i can see his visor, he can see me, and it's all good in the hood.

·
Registered
919 Posts
I always make sure they know I'm there. And then I read their body language to see if they are going to let me by. If not, then I wait till I can use another lane to pass them. Just use your head. If you aren't comfortable with it then don't do it. But if you are, then just use your head while doing it.

·
Registered
975 Posts
It's uncool and unsafe (and possibly illegal) to pass another bike in the same lane. The exception would be if the slower rider gives you plenty of room and waves you around. I had a guy on a cruiser (ngatt) pass me last year and it scared the crap out of me. I was doing 45 in a 35 zone so there was no gain as far as avoiding a ticket. It's bad enough looking out for the cagers that are trying to mame or kill you without worrying about fellow riders.

·
Premium Member
11,333 Posts
I have only ridden with groups a couple times. Today, the group I was riding with passed a guy in the same lane (due to double lines). Is that socially acceptable?

I'm sure this has been asked tons of times on the forum. A link to another thread is sufficient.

in California Lane sharing is legal,
in Vermont, crossing the double yellows is legal

other than those states, what's the difference, a double line violation or land sharing violation,

at least when your in the other lane, its safer

FWIW, for most motorcyclists, yellow line violations are almost as commonplace at speeding

passing in same lane, IMHO, stupid

·
Registered
2,541 Posts
passing in same lane, IMHO, stupid
I agree with you if you mean strangers, or other unexpected people, but I allow this to happen on a regular basis with those that I normally ride with.

If I am in the lead and would rather have someone in front of me, I shift over to the right (just about on the line and flag them past. While it is technically illegal, I don't see any harm in it if both people are aware and creating space for each other.

*Im saying this because I'm not sure how the original poster meant it. I do not take part or condone ripping past people in the same lane that are not expecting it, or letting you by. Especially if you dont kno them.

·
Registered
6,503 Posts
I don't pass unless I'm waved through. If a faster rider is coming up on me I will pull to the right and wave them through.

·
Registered
740 Posts
Assuming it's legal in your state, like it is in many, it's fine as long as the other rider is aware of it, not bothered by it, and there's space. I've only done and had it happen to me in group rides when the communication has been excellent, but it wouldn't bother me if a stranger passed my that way, as long as he/she was courteous about it. If both people are aware, willing, and competent, it's not dangerous.

·
Registered
4,937 Posts
So did he pass a bike or a car in the same lane? I would be ok passing a bike in the same lane on the street on a straight if it's clear they are aware of me...and we both know each other. I wouldn't do it to a stranger without an explicit wave through.

Never with a car...I have done it in stopped traffic but I don't have the balls to do it with everone moving. In stopped traffic if a car moves it's easier to see them as a potential hazard than when everyone is already moving.

·
Premium Member
9,691 Posts
I don't pass unless I'm waved through. If a faster rider is coming up on me I will pull to the right and wave them through.
Yeah +1 to that cause nothing can scare the chit out of you more as a speeding biker that passes you 12"-24" away in your same lane when you never even saw them behind you. Worst if they pass you on the inside too. :angry1:

Come up on the person, slow down, give them the indication that you want to pass them and hopefully they'll wave you by and give them as much room by even riding on the lane line when you do pass them and give them a thanks wave for being courteous and letting you by.

·
Registered
437 Posts
This happens to me so regularly on the West Side Hwy at rush hour I look for it. I don't lane split at speed (only at stop lights) but many in NYC do. Most of the time I'm putting along in 2nd gear, when I see them I pull as far over as possible and waive them by knowing full well they'll zip right by whether I waive them or not.

·
Registered
3,828 Posts
Passing in the same lane seems okay IF: the rider infront of you is off to the right and waves you by (assuming that it's a safe place to pass. i.e. no blind turn or hill ahead). If your passing a car in the same lane it should never be done, unless they pull off the side of the road and wave you by.

I'm not sure if any of these situations are legal but it's more of a Common courtesy to other riders and drivers.

The main situation for me would be riding through the canyon and the person infront of me is going way too slow, but if they don't let me pass I just have to use my best judgement.

·
Registered
3,276 Posts
I don't do it to people I don't know, and never in any turn tighter than a long sweeper "unless they've been picking on my girl bike".

On group rides and with freinds it's different, if you know people and how they ride and if their not going to freak out if you do it then go ahead.

I guess I'm the only one who tweaks mirrors or pokes the kill switch when I pass one of my buddies;D

·
Registered
1,342 Posts
i will pass anyone anywhere I see it safe enough to do so, it does not matter what the other rider sees, they may be half blind.
I passed a ZX10R on Big Tujunga(socal) ridng my 1gen on the inside of this almost 90degree left hander, he was bent. It was plenty safe cuz i could see the road past the bend and 120 meters to the next curve. He was way high on the right so i went way low on the inside(there are no lines on this part of the road). He was probly just mad he got passed by an SV.
the best way to not get passed is to be fast

1 - 20 of 54 Posts