Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,657 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My wife and I did a 200 miler today....it was her first, just a few minutes under 4 hours of saddle time. Needless to say, she'll be joining soon and signing in under the aka of "Oh My Ass!" The pillion seat has always been suitable for her for the shorter jaunts we've ridden but after today's run, I have orders to make the change...whatever that change may be, as long as it's comfortable.

I now Sargent sells a pillion seat as a package type deal with there riders seat. I have a Sargent but bought it second hand so the pillion wasn't an option. I'm gonna check with them on availability and price but I have never seen anybody here discuss the attributes of a Sargent Pillion seat specifically.

Who has one and can you provide me with some info on it's comfort, please?

Secondly, anyone ever had there pillion seat redone like maybe by that "Great Day to Ride" guy? I'd love to hear about that. Since it's pretty cheap, I'd probably try to have both seats I have redone by them just to compare the riders seat to my Sargent. As far as I'm concerned, the OEM seat is worthless to me. I couldn't spend more than 20 minutes in it without a great deal of discomfort.

I'm open to any other ideas to help keep the wife's butt happy, please chime in if you have constructive feedback.

·
Registered
2,849 Posts
I would recommend A Great Day To Ride heavily. I didn't get my pillion done, but my main seat is so much more comfortable now. A few hours in and I don't hurt at all where before after about 45 min I was hurting pretty bad. When I got the seat back from Spencer it was pretty comfortable and after a couple of weeks it molded to me and it's even better now.

·
Registered
1,633 Posts
I redid mine to make it better for my wife......
One picture I don't have is where I cut out the middle and replaced it with a "chunk" of gel padding... She says that it is leaps and bounds better then the stock one.

·
Registered
1,657 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Impressive work!

Is that the OEM cover in the last pic?

Also, what is the green foam, is it a heavier density?

·
Registered
1,633 Posts
Impressive work!

Is that the OEM cover in the last pic?

Also, what is the green foam, is it a heavier density?
Thank you!

Yes, OEM cover reused.

Green foam is dense 1/2" chair/sofa foam that I got from JoAnn Fabric.....any fabric shop should have it.

I also used 3M 77 spray adhesive to hold the green foam to the stock foam/gel pad.

·
Registered
1,657 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
This is cool!

I could send this thing back to Sargent but I'd be looking at a minimum 3 weeks to work it up. It's riding season now!! I might just give your method a shot. I like the idea of dishing it out near the rear. It's similar to how the Sargent rider's seat is now. It would appear to change the level of the seat as well. She's always sliding forward on it and it would seem that dishing it might help reduce that a bit.

So you used a Gel insert under that green foam? Where did you obtain this little jewel you call Gel?

·
Registered
1,657 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well....it looks like it's headed to Sargent for a complete rebuild. As much as I'd like to give it a shot myself, I'm not an seat-maker and I think I'd be wasting valuable riding time if I messed with it....especially if what I did didn't work out.

I communicated with that "Great Day to Ride" seat fixer-upper guy and all I came away with is that dude is a tool! I sent him a professional request letting him know my problem with the pillion seat and that since I had an OEM rider's seat sitting here in the garage since I had a Sargent on the front, I would like him to rework both the rider's seat and the pillion seat. Apparently one has to be ghetto poor to obtain his consideration and he obviously doesn't think his work stacks up to Sargents because he said that "he does work for those that don't want to spend much money or can't afford too" and for me to send him my seats "wouldn't be worth it" for me!

I'm looking for the sign on my forehead or where in my email that I stated that I had lots of money and wanted to hastily throw it at these 2 seats....I'm a bit confused as I can't find it, but so be it. Welfare recipients need only apply. Apparently because I own a Sargent seat, I'm not worthy of his services.

Anyway....I spoke with the team at Sargent and they explained what could be done to make the seat much better so off it goes today. Hopefully she'll be back in a few weeks.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts