Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So this is the right side of my 01 SV650S with the clutch removed. The support for the shifter shaft has broken off as the result of a tip over. Can't believe there is so much damage from such a simple thing. Really don't see any way to reliably fix this but I'm open to any suggestions.
Automotive tire Gear Rim Motor vehicle Automotive design

·
Registered
482 Posts
Without a doubt, replacing that case is the best way to go.

That being said, it is just the shifter shaft, so it’s not supporting any Atlas-like loads. If it wasn’t for needing to support that shaft (bearing?), you could even do it with JB Weld. A talented aluminum welder could try to smooth out the hole and weld in a piece of aluminum to match what was lost, though. Might just get away with it… Thing is, the only guys I know that have done that have worked in, or had friends that worked in, steel fab shops. Otherwise, the cost might be the same as a parted out casing.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I've got some ideas now whereas when I posted I only had frustration. I've got some cases in a motor with a thrown rod but the thought of stripping them down and fitting all the good stuff into them is testing my relationship with the bike.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It was a rescue from neglect and I put a used motor in it when the original threw a rod. I don't give up easily but I had to bring my R1100S back from an accident recently and I've been trying to get some Mikunis properly jetted for another bike. I built it for my daughter and I can't think of a fix that I would be confident sending her out on. Have to say I'd like to ride more and fix less at this point. Thanks for the feedback.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts