Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
533 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone have a write up on how to turn parking lights into secondary turn signals? I have heard of people doing it but can't find a writeup on it.

·
Registered
802 Posts
I did this to mine. It is fairly easy. I have a video of mine on youtube as well.

·
Registered
467 Posts
just my two cents here, but i removed my old signals and used integrated signal mirrors and turnded my parking lights into signals as well.

i would like to recommend http://www.superbrightleds.com

i used the stock bulbs, i even tried some LED bulbs, but that site has some LED bulbs that fit in the 194 socket but consists of five LEDs and they are much brighter than any option i have tried so far. i will get a pic edited into this in a second.

originally i used the inverted cone VLEDS to try and get the light to diffuse more, but the best option was the WLED-x5 on superbrightleds. here are pics:

V LEDS inverted cone

WLED-x5

u can see that it actually has five leds pointing all four directions as well as forward. here is a link to where i purchased mine. they also have a relay to fix the flash rate that has the terminals needed to simply plug into the factory wiring. just remove terminals from stock relay and plug into the new one and mount.

http://www.superbrightleds.com/specs/bulb_specs.htm#x5

·
Registered
533 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
just my two cents here, but i removed my old signals and used integrated signal mirrors and turnded my parking lights into signals as well.

i would like to recommend http://www.superbrightleds.com

i used the stock bulbs, i even tried some LED bulbs, but that site has some LED bulbs that fit in the 194 socket but consists of five LEDs and they are much brighter than any option i have tried so far. i will get a pic edited into this in a second.

originally i used the inverted cone VLEDS to try and get the light to diffuse more, but the best option was the WLED-x5 on superbrightleds. here are pics:

V LEDS inverted cone

WLED-x5

u can see that it actually has five leds pointing all four directions as well as forward. here is a link to where i purchased mine. they also have a relay to fix the flash rate that has the terminals needed to simply plug into the factory wiring. just remove terminals from stock relay and plug into the new one and mount.

http://www.superbrightleds.com/specs/bulb_specs.htm#x5
Thank you for all the info.. all I am going to need to do is splice the wire and attach it to the flush mount signal wires correct? and the relay would be placed on the flush mount wire?

·
Registered
467 Posts
Thank you for all the info.. all I am going to need to do is splice the wire and attach it to the flush mount signal wires correct? and the relay would be placed on the flush mount wire?
The splicing yes, but the relay goes in the back by the fuse box. Basically the stock signal relay flashes based on load, so leds throw it off and peeps have been puttin in resitors. These resistors consume that energy tho and also create heat, so the repacement relay there uses a timer instead of the load so your signals always flash at the correct rate.

Here is a write up, but the price is almost half at superbrightleds:

http://www.customdynamics.com/customer_writeup_sv1000_flasher.htm

·
Registered
3 Posts
Had this conversion in place when I bought the bike last year. After a while I realised that with headlights on highbeam, which is how I go all the time in daylight, the signals were not exactly visible because they're too close to the headlights. Had a few friends double check and confirm this and so reverted back to normal location (but with LEDs). Just something to keep in mind?

·
Registered
467 Posts
Had this conversion in place when I bought the bike last year. After a while I realised that with headlights on highbeam, which is how I go all the time in daylight, the signals were not exactly visible because they're too close to the headlights. Had a few friends double check and confirm this and so reverted back to normal location (but with LEDs). Just something to keep in mind?
i have to agree, you wont want to do this as your only form of turn signal up front. personally, i went with the integrated mirror lights.

here is a pic of mine (without paint):

·
Registered
533 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I have flush mount turn signals, and I am planning on combining them with these. would this not be enough? or would it be better to just get mirrors too and splice all three in?

thanks,
Matt

·
Registered
467 Posts
I have flush mount turn signals, and I am planning on combining them with these. would this not be enough? or would it be better to just get mirrors too and splice all three in?

thanks,
Matt
i would think it would be enough, but it is all up to you. the mirrors just flowed with my body well and i needed to pick some up anyways. to save from having to cut holes in my fairing and all that crap, i bought the version of the mirrors that had the signals in them. heck, they were only like 30 or 40 bucks.

·
Registered
437 Posts
1 - 15 of 15 Posts