Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought my Sv used, and it didn't have an owners manual. I have noticed a few people on here talking about routine maintenance at set amount of miles, i turned over 7500 miles on my first gen this weekend. I just wanna know what the recommendations as far as mileage is for my bike is. I'm not sure if its supposed to be taken in to the shop or if its anything i can do? Thanks for the help guys!

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
yah i mean ive kept up with that every 2500 miles and the other stuff like the lube of the chain and keeping the proper tension on it also. Just curious if there is somthing like at 16k where your supposed to take it into the shop.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
i went to the link but when i download it all it shows is these crazy symbols! I know they have a name but i cant think of it.

·
Registered
2,009 Posts
abass84 said:
i went to the link but when i download it all it shows is these crazy symbols! I know they have a name but i cant think of it.
you probably need winzip to unzip them (depending on what version of Windows you have...or you may not), and you will definitely need adobe reader to view them.

·
Registered
284 Posts
I also bought my SV used and am still without the manual (haven't really needed it thanks to this site). If it makes you feel any better I have not done any maintenence except lube the chain, change the oil, and change the tires. You are supposed to get the valves checked around 15,000 miles but I hear they rarely need adjustment so I have skipped that check-up. I replaced the chain and sprockets at around 20,000 miles. I am at 25,000 miles now with no issues and I frequently ride the piss out of the poor little SV.

-josh

P.S. Keep an eye on all the bolts... our little V-twin likes to rattle them loose.

·
Registered
96 Posts
I've heard some recommend that if you're going to be taking it more than 10 miles at a time, then every 3,000 miles should do it. But if you're only taking it a mile or two back and forth to work, then every 1,500 miles.

Also to change the filter each time you change the oil.

·
Registered
500 Posts
I have 19k on my bike. The SV is a sturdy SOB. Not all temperamental like some fancy ass Duc or something. I do the maintenance myself as the bike needs it. The only time I ever got a bike serviced according to the manual it cost me $400 and ran worse than when I took it in to them. The bike will tell you what it needs. Idle gets rough flush carbs adj. valves. Front end gets spongy change fork oil and think about a heavier oil. I am a skeptic. I think those stupid routine service manuals should only be used as a guide or a gauge. They are designed to make money off of you that doesn't need to be spent. It is not like a SV is a sports car with a belt drive interference engine where if your belt snaps so goes the snapping of your valve stems and a shot engine. I have been wanting to upgrade to new sprockets and a new 520 chain conversion so I don't even lube my chain and my sprocket teeth aren't even worn down and my chain looks great. I would rather ride my bike than wrench on it any day. So if it aint broke don't fix it. If your SV is anything like mine it aint broke. I use Amsoil for motorcycles and just change out my filter on a regular basis but I don't get nuts with it.

G

·
HartSplash said:
I've heard some recommend that if you're going to be taking it more than 10 miles at a time, then every 3,000 miles should do it. But if you're only taking it a mile or two back and forth to work, then every 1,500 miles.

Also to change the filter each time you change the oil.
Yeah- oil change is numer uno. I go every 2500 miles with a filter each change for every bike I ever had.
Air filter is #2. Blow it out with compressed air often. If you're not quite sure you need to replace it, then you need to replace it.
Just keep it tuned and it will last forever. Anything that makes your bike run smoother helps. Keep you chain properly tensioned (and lubed). Valve check at 15k? do it! Keep the carbs or TBs (whatever you have) synced.
Does it help that much? Some anecdotal evidence... I do all of the above. My last bike had over 120K miles on it, of which I put about 70K, and a lot of that in the desert heat and riding hard. I never even had to split the case (top end and rings, yes). It wouldn't die - I gave it to a friend. Sounds like two squirrels fighting over a bag of tin cans in there, but it still runs today!

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks guys i appreciate the input, i gave all of you +1 on the karma! whoohoo :)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts