Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I moved to South Carolina in March I just knew I moved to paradise. I moved from below freezing weather to warm sunny weather. It didn't rain for what seemed like the first month I was here. Everything was perfect. Then my wife let me get my SV650 and life just got better. Everyday I had a choice of playing golf in beautiful weather or riding my bike. No one could wipe the smile off my face. What could be bettor?

What about a place were every road isn't a straight f-ing road. It seems like you can ride 100 miles in any f-ing direction without hitting a curve. There's no f-ing hills, no f-ing curves and almost not all that many bikes. Today I road for just over 100 miles and maybe had 1 semi sweeping curve, maybe. I even went down a road called snake road. Sounds good right? How does this sound to you, 1 mile with maybe 3 turns that were almost fun, almost. I'm never going to be ready for the dragon next year if I never get to ride any twisties. If that isn't bad enough then I have to read about this http://forum.svrider.com/index.php?topic=45376.0 as soon as I get home and turn on my computer. I'll say it, I'm jealous, I want that.

Sorry, I had to get that off my chest. I'll keep looking for some good roads and try to keep the rubber side down.

·
Registered
291 Posts
Up here, in Spartanburg, we are in the Mountians in 30min. It is great!!! Sorry

·
Registered
2,737 Posts
move to california? suny warm and twisty

·
Super Moderator
8,820 Posts
If I can travel over a thousand miles (1013.4 miles to be exact) to do the Dragon, you can
travel a couple hundred miles or so to do the north GA and Tennessee roads.

Travel there, rent a room for 50-60 bucks and ride to your hearts content.

·
Registered
703 Posts
This is really a generalization since I've never been in the area where you live, but this works pretty well almost everywhere -- get on the roads that don't look like roads.

What I'm getting at is that all too often it's easy to stay on "main" roads because they're maintained -- smooth pavement, nice shoulders, etc. What you need to look for is the road that looks like someone's driveway, which you've probably ridden past already thinking just that. These are the roads that are seldom traveled. Where you'll find two way traffic on a road that's only a lane and a half wide. Where you cruise along at 50mph only to crest a hill and find it turns sharp left so you learn how to brake and then lean into it. Where the pavement is spotty and you have to dodge the potholes in your way.

Roads like these are what my friend would take me down when I was learning to ride. IMO they help sharpen your skills and they're really fun, once you get past the fear factor that some of them can induce. :D And they're everywhere. You just have to get off the main roads to find them. ;)

·
Super Moderator
8,820 Posts
Where is that? I would take a weeks vacation just to drive on there for a couple of days! ::)

That place is gorgeous ... *looking at the hair on my arms going down!*

·
Registered
291 Posts
You lucky SOB

·
Registered
21 Posts
Currently said:
If I can travel over a thousand miles (1013.4 miles to be exact) to do the Dragon, you can
travel a couple hundred miles or so to do the north GA and Tennessee roads.

Travel there, rent a room for 50-60 bucks and ride to your hearts content.
I live in NW Georgia, can provide lodging and there are plenty of curvy roads where I live. Mountains arn't a far ride, but there is plenty to cut your teeth on in my backyard.

·
Super Moderator
8,820 Posts
I may be looking you up next spring ... I booked two full weeks of vacation around the time of the Rally.
The first week, all I want to do is those famous GA roads ... Blood Mountain, Stone Mountain and so on.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Dude, tell me about it.

Am I right or am I right, Florida people???!

·
Registered
43 Posts
Your Right!! Stoopid straight, flat, boring roads... :mad:

·
Registered
2,737 Posts
" but its so nice here in the winter its nice and warm etc. etc." losers! thats what you get for moving south. i love the north east in all its frozen splendor

·
Premium Member
1,779 Posts
Check out Ceasars Head State Park on Hwy 276 up in the NW corner of SC.  Lots of curvy mountain roads up there:

·
Registered
197 Posts
I used to live in the north eastern area of SC and moved to the MD/DE area neither area has very good roads as far as turns and fun stuff to ride. When I lived down there I'd trailer my bike up to the Clemson area and ride up there and in NC for fun. I suspect the bulk of people probably live in areas where either there is too much city traffic or too straight roads to have fun too much on their bikes. But I bet most people also if they looked are within 4 hours or less of some very nice areas to ride. For me I could shoot up to PA or VA/WV etc in a matter of 2-5 hours be in great riding areas.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts