·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Jacket - check
Helmet - check
Gloves - check
Boots - check

Pants? Huh. Apparently, jeans don't really hold up in a bad moment. So, the next thing is a pair of pants, I would think. What do you wear and why? I've seen leather and textile and "overpants".

I ride in Pennsylvania and am looking for something spring, summer and fall. I don't anticipate riding in the rain (yeah, I know if I ride long enough, it happens, but it's not part of my plan for right now).

Thoughts?

·
Registered
7,580 Posts
I have a pair of textile pants and a pair of leather pants and a pair of kevlar jeans.

The textile has been worn down to 32 degrees-in snow!- and in torrential rain (separate events) but I wouldn't want to wear them over about 75 degrees. They are not vented in any way.

The leather has been worn down into the low 60s (so far) and into the mid-80s with UA compression pants underneath. So far, so good.

The jeans have been worn into the 90s and down into the 40s, but offer the least protection. They are not comfortable under about 60 degrees without compression pants on underneath, and just barely tolerable below about 50. On the other hand, you look least out of place in jeans when you're off the bike--especially when you're riding solo.

Another option is something like the Bohn armored underwear. It keeps the armor in place, where jeans would probably not.

·
Registered
747 Posts
If you get 50 replies, you'll get 50 different opinions.
So here's mine.

I have Firstgear textile overpants. I love Firstgear stuff. But these overpants are like snowpants. There's no vents, and they're hot. Not great for summer, but great for the other seasons. I've ridden with them in 90 degree temps (with nothing underneath but bicycling shorts), and as long as you're moving I guess they're ok.
Next year I'll be buying their mesh version.

·
Registered
850 Posts
I have leather pants to match my jacket for spirited rides, Joe rocket pheonix 3.0 textile/mesh overpants for warm weather commuting and tourmaster textile pants w/ liner for cold weather commuting.

If you want something for all seasons get a convertible pair like the alter ego's.

·
Premium Member
151 Posts
I live in PA also and I wear a Pair of Firstgear textile pants most of the summer, a Pair of Textile & leather pants for fall and a pair with removable liner for colder days. You can find all kinds of appropriate stuff on flea bay and places like Cycle Gear.

·
Registered
57 Posts
I have a pair of RST textile overpants.
Build quality: 5/10
Warmth: 7/10
Waterproof: 9/10
Comfort: 6/10
Movement: 2/10
protection: 7/10

The last two numbers are the ones to focus on. The movement is awful. I can just get my feet on the pegs, and that is where they stay, I can't move my legs out and they are very restrictive.
As for protection, they good enough. Padding in the impact zones, and thick enough to take a slide. BUT I feel more vunerable when wearing them as I have less control over the bike compared to wearing jeans. I feel it's not a worthy sacrifice, so I wear jeans until I can afford the leather pants to go with my jacket.

·
Registered
123 Posts
I wear Joe Rocket Ballistic textile overpants whenever it is 60 or below and Icon Hooligan mesh overpants whenever it is above 60. If I am just riding for fun I wear a pair of gym shorts under them and its comfortable. I have a few friends who wear textile overpants all year, even in 90+ temps, but im a fat sweaty *******, so thats not really an option for me.

·
Registered
220 Posts
I have scorpion deuce textile pants and love them. Breathe well without the liner, waterproof with, and room for extra layers. It's held up well in multiple crashes with only 2 dime size holes and a broken zipper. They are big like snowpants but comfortable so I could care less

·
Registered
847 Posts
Joe rocket pheonix 3.0 textile/mesh overpants for warm weather commuting
I have these too and have been very happy with them. Price, ease of "putting on / taking off" (since I commute to work with them over khakis or jeans). For winter and / or rain, I just put my waterproof overpants on over them. Stays plenty warm down to freezing.

·
Registered
3,341 Posts
I wear jeans and had them hold up in my crash last year pretty well. They are my compromise between comfort and protection. Not everyone feels the same way. I also have Icon Brawnson overpants to wear over my dress pants when I ride to work and cannot wear jeans. They work great I just dont want to walk around in them all day because they are bulky like snow pants.

·
Registered
157 Posts

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
I live in PA as well, and I end up wearing jeans year round. Rain or shine, 90 or 10 they seem to be the best fit for me, but really all comes down to personal preference.

·
Registered
1,617 Posts
I wear the Icon Automag leather overpants. I wear them year round. They're hot as hell in the summer, and a bit chilly once it gets below 20ish or so... But I make do with what I have and it works.

They saved my ass (literally) when I went down on the highway in them. I landed directly on my right knee initially at highway speeds and got up and walked away from the accident unharmed. The pants are rashed, but I'm still wearing the same pair. I can guarantee that I wouldn't not have walked away if I had jeans on. The armored knee is the only thing that kept my from having serious knee damage.

I live in northeast PA.

·
Registered
2,558 Posts
I wear Alpinestars Apex pants that I picked up near-new from leeds (svr member):

Reasoning/rationale:
- Work well with my jacket / rest of the kit
- Good ventilation
- Same padding/armor as my 1pc, so I can swap my upgrades depending on what I'm wearing that day
- I have my wardrobe of office clothes at the office, no need to wear overpants

·
Registered
9,110 Posts
I wear Tour Master Venture Air mesh pants, when I'm not wearing my Aerostich. They are mesh and have a wind/rain liner and a thermal liner. I've commuted to work down to somewhere just above freezing, and have never used the thermal liner. The rain liner is in the bottom of my backpack, so if it rains for the ride home, I can put them on. I generally don't ride into work if it is raining in the morning. I own a car, so I don't have to. :nana:

·
Registered
2,510 Posts
FirstGear leather overpants.

Waterproof, excellent (for me) all summer through 100+*f, fine down to 40* with the vents closed and dickies underneath. Good knee and hip armor. Not sure if you can still get them, but I love them. I just wish I got the right size.

Also, if anyone looks for them, get the 2nd gen ones that are lined and have waterproof zips and Velcro on the legs, not the 'old' ones with the buttons.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts