Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner
1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Everyone - I really do miss being able to carry things around and pick things up (had a GSX FA with all the carriers). I see that SW Motech Blaze pannier set looks pretty good - but it does take something away from the look of the SV. I'm getting older now and flipping my leg over a seat bag is getting harder and harder. Does anyone know of a decent back pack for riding if I don't want to put panniers on. I've looked around and there are so many out there - any experiences? Thanks...

·
Premium Member
292 Posts
I use tank bags too. Have a smaller one that I use for commuting and average day ride stuff. And a somewhat larger version to actually haul a few things in. Both are magnetic and stick well to the tank.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the ideas everyone - forgot about a tank bag or even stepping up on the peg.

·
Registered
786 Posts
A popular option is the Kriega R20 backpack. The main feature is the center quad-lock harness that transfers weight from the shoulders to the chest and body.
It really works and unless I overstuff the backpack, I forget that I'm wearing it minutes into the ride. I'd say 10lbs is the maximum packing weight for all day comfort. The trick is to adjust the straps so that the backpack fits very tightly to your body.
It's a bit expensive but after four years of use it still is holding up, besides the zipper that has started to act up a bit.
The new R22 model is now waterproof.

·
Registered
2017 SV650A
41 Posts
I use a good quality mountain bike backpack that has adjustable shoulder straps,a chest strap and a waist strap. I just don't like the look of hard bags, feels like a BMW instead of the SV650.

·
Registered
7,783 Posts
Over time my magnetic bags have scratched my tank, but the straps that hold my tail bag to the bike have also scratched the tail plastics. Then I got a top case on a SW Motech ALU rack, but I hate the look. I also eventually cracked the mount.

So now I'm back to backpacking it. I have an Icon Urban bag. It has some magnets in it that mean you could use it for a tank bag, but they are not very strong and the bag is large, so it gets in the way.

Of all the methods I've used, the tail bag was the least obtrusive. Mine is just a little too small for what I need most of the time I really need a bag.

·
Registered
384 Posts
I use one of the Alpinestars backpacks. I don't recall which model it is, but it holds quite a bit of stuff.

·
Registered
500 Posts
How many things and what space will they take?
What kind of day trips?

For daily commuting (mine is about 120 Km roundtrip) a backpack is all I need: computer, rain suit, glasses and a few other things all fit in this backpack. Tightly tied up on my shoulders it's totally comfortablefor a 1hr ride through interstate roads and highway.
I use it also when riding to the grocery or when going to buy a few items at the supermarket.
When riding for fun on the twisties, a small tail bag is what makes me feel most comfortable: a backpack would get me tired after a few km, and a tank bag would get in the way all the time while leaning over or moving around the tank to keep up with the road.
If travelling for longer distances (i.e. 2/3 days trips), possibly with a pillion rider, soft side bags plus a rigid top rack are my favourite.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts