Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
397 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have any of you guys ever tried to get a whole new paint job on your SV??? If so, where did you get it from and how much was it? I'm thinking of chaning my SV from silver to black, but have no clue where to get the job done...thanks!!!

·
Premium Member
4,625 Posts
I got a paintjob once and it was awesome 8)

Er, anyways, I was quoted 700$ for the tail, tank, uppers and lowers. A bit pricey I believe. But then I found someone (not a business) that would do it for 150$.

·
Registered
326 Posts
My dealer that I bought my bike from offers paint jobs on all its bikes on the floor if you do not like the color.

I really did not like the blue and I hate the yellow lol.  I also want black but in the end I cheaped out and did not do the paint deal.  

It was 400 bucks for a base/clear job.  Not bad IMO if the job is done right.

·
Registered
397 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
man weird how paint jobs on bikes seems more then a paint job on a car ??? I mean I've seen tv commercials for a full body paint job on a car for only like $200 or so...I dun understand :'(

·
Registered
102 Posts
shekshishekki said:
man weird how paint jobs on bikes seems more then a paint job on a car  ??? I mean I've seen tv commercials for a full body paint job on a car for only like $200 or so...I dun understand  :'(
Good paint jobs on cars are much more than $200. I remember a friend who went in and got an Earl Scheib job on his '80 Rover 3500. Overspray on the tires, windshield, and they painted over some leaves on the hood. It's not the cost of the paint, it's the preparation.

·
Registered
6,503 Posts
There's paint and then there's good paint. Top quality paint for a car can cost $500, and that's just to buy the materials. How good a paint job you get is dependent on how much labor is put into surface preparation. $150 for a paint job is very, very cheap.

·
Registered
40 Posts
does anyone have any web sites where we can browse paint swatches? what is the average turn around time for a simple color paint job?

J

·
0 Posts
Id say turn around time would depend on the shop. It would also depend on if you were having them prep the body (sand, strip, and the like) it would also depend on how many coats of paint and clear you were going with.

·
Registered
336 Posts
def. better off preppin everything yourself, that is if you have the ability/knowledge to do so. it'll save you tons.

B

·
0 Posts
well, cheap paintjobs aren't good, and good paintjobs aren't cheap. Most of my paintjobs go for between $1300 and $1800, and it's not uncommon for some of them to be $2000-$2400

I don't paint sportbikes, just cruisers. However, I don't ride cruisers, I own a 2003 Z1000 :)

www.bdscycles.com

·
Registered
23 Posts
I paid slightly less than $400 for a paint job on my naked SV. Went from blue('99) to British Racing Green. Shop did a pretty decent job. Took about 4 days. Would have been out riding then if it werent for a broken collarbone. :mad:

·
Registered
23 Posts
Hey bdsbigzrx, looked @ your site. Nice work, I have always loved flame jobs on bikes.

this one is pretty cool

like this one alot

·
Registered
397 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I don't want a crazy custom paintjob like the ones that goes on cruisers and stuff...hahaha i just want sumthing that looks similar to the factory paint job. One color thats all...a glossy black, nothing fancy :-D

·
Registered
23 Posts
Sorry man, those pics were taken from bdsbigzrx's web site for his paint shop. Seriously you should be able to find an auto body shop that can fit you in for not alot of money. If you want something simple and clean you can get away for under $500, and I have never paid less than $1000 for a car paintjob. Like I said mine was less than $400 and I had a custom color mixed.
This is my bike before:

and here is after:

·
Registered
23 Posts

You can see I did more than just paint. ;D

·
Registered
745 Posts
I gave $1100 for mine. It's a color blue that I came up with, with silver ghost flames on all the lower bodywork. That price included my paint and body guy fitting all my annoying German bodywork. Nothing from Germany fits right! He did a really good job. Except for that whole "tag flying off during a group ride" thing. ;D There are pictures in the link in my sig if anyone wants to look.

·
Premium Member
1,209 Posts
evilbologna said:
I got a paintjob once and it was awesome 8)

Er, anyways, I was quoted 700$ for the tail, tank, uppers and lowers. A bit pricey I believe. But then I found someone (not a business) that would do it for 150$.
i paid $900 to get a paint job for 2WJ full fairings, front fender, tank, undertail, rear quarters and center piece. It was a nice job for most part because the guy worked professionally at a shop. But... he rushed it and it showed in a few areas and was not worth the $900 I paid.

I am wrapping up my new paint job now. Just from the amount of work for prepping the pieces and time involved and cost of paint... I just don't see anyone doing a "quality" paint job for $150. After doing it myself... I can say I wouldn't do a complete bike solid color for less than $400 and maybe more depending on amount of pieces done and what paint they wanted... for instance the grand candy blue is some of the most expensive... $150 a quart from color-rite.

I would expect a "good painter" to charge about $400-$700 really and that includes at least 2 clear coats and buffing.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts