Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
2,737 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok so we all know by now that my bike is missing some plastic. and i'm eventually going to get some replacements. my question is i want to chang the color of my bike and i have a friend who has a spray booth in his garage. now how would one go about stripping the color off and painting it. can you sand blast it or use chemical stripper or what??

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
i used an orbital sander on the tank only and i hand sanded the rest of the plastics to take the silver off my biek before i painted it black

forgot which grit i used, somebody will say it

u can use the sander on teh plastics too but dont hold it there for long otherwise you'll fuk them up

dont sand blast!!

·
Registered
2,737 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
perfect, thanx.  yah sanding plastic equals "oh $h1t i destroyed it" 

now the question is what should i paint it.  i know i want a carbon fiber hugger and front fender and eventually will get the gold gsx-r forks.  what will go good with both??

·
Registered
2,737 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
novakane said:
nah black is cool but i want some thing different. i was thinking maybe a gun metal grey but i don't think that will look so hot with the black frame on my 05..

·
Registered
2,737 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
mschop said:
i personally like yellow.  Red would work too.
i like the red they have for the sv1k on the suzuki web site right now.

deffinetly not yellow though and no purple either d&mmit

·
Registered
453 Posts
You can scuff and then paint right over the existing paint, or you can take all the way down. If you go all the way down be sure to use and adhesion promotor on the plastics and then primer everything the same color then begin painting.

·
Registered
166 Posts
I normally use a red scuff pad and 320 grit automotive sandpaper. I wet sand with 600 grit to get a really smooth finish, but I never had to strip the paint off the plastics before. Are they that bad to need to be stripped? If it has chips or scratches, just feather them out and primer them. I've redone alot of bikes, so if you have any questions about prep work, let me know.....good luck!!

·
Registered
3,655 Posts
If you wanna be different...paint it brown.  Like dog doodie brown.  Bet ya don't see too many of those rollin' around on the street.

I can honestly say that i have yet to see a brown bike.

·
Registered
166 Posts
I seen one on ebay that was viper orange, I thought that was different and cool a at the same time. I would be eye catching!!! ::)

·
BannedCampCounselor
9,911 Posts
go flat black.
im thinkin of pickin up a spare tank and spare tail and painting them rattle-can flat black and puttin on a naked headlight and calling it done.

·
Registered
321 Posts
I plan on doing this eventually and I like the idea of Green. Sort of like a sour apple blow pop. That would go with both the gold and carbon fiber and the black frame. I think that would be bangin and very different. Until I do it to mine. White would be cool too, but probably hard to keep clean.

·
Registered
2,737 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
how about camo and then get the camo leathers i saw in the back of some mag the other day.

·
Registered
202 Posts
dackler said:
go flat black.
im thinkin of pickin up a spare tank and spare tail and painting them rattle-can flat black and puttin on a naked headlight and calling it done.
That is exactly what I'm doing now.

I think you should paint your bike white!

·
Registered
2,737 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
black bikes areso boring though. this kid i know painted his super hawk all black and it looks ok but plain. i think i'm going to go with this green color i found on a bike in a past issue of street fighter mag. its a little darker than lime green and rather eye catchy and shoulc work with all the other stuff.

·
Registered
7,347 Posts
White would look fan-fuckin-tastic with the black frame. Bit of black detailing on the plastivcs- racing stripe or border work maybe- and you'd have something really difrerent, great to look at, er, and unspeakably hard to keep clean. I was this close... But I couldn't be bothered to take the bike to bits to coat the frame, if I'm honest. That was the only thing that stopped me...

With the black frame, you want to coat the fork lowers, and go with a really bright colour- contrast is where it's at. Yellow, orange, white, fire red maybe... Gun metal would look brilliant with the silver frame for the same reason.

·
Registered
166 Posts
I seen a white cbr929, and it looked dirty even though it was clean. I think it was the silver frame though that made it look flithly. My yellow bike is hard to keep clean, so a white one...... :-\

1 - 20 of 25 Posts