Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

painting rear shock-spring

2K views 13 replies 6 participants last post by  gotalf 
#1 ·
i have a 03 650n and i am planning on doing a gsxr shock swap. but my bike is blue and the shock is yellow  :p what would be a idea to change the color, remove the spring and paint or powdercoat give me a idea if you have been down this road before please

#2 ·
the yellow would actually look pretty good on a blue bike. don't know what year shock you have, but my '04 main shock body is blue/metallic with that yellow spring. and the spring itself has a latex/rubber type coating for corrosion protection purposes. So painting and/or powdercoating would involve stripping that off first as well. JSYK what issues you might run into. How about finding another spring altogether? just a thought.

#7 ·
well i guess those are ideas but not really the answers im looking for. i thought of putting a shockwear over it but my whole thing is i dont want it to look ghetto. ya know resale value and all i want it to look factory

#8 ·
gotalf said:
well i guess those are ideas but not really the answers im looking for. i thought of putting a shockwear over it but my whole thing is i dont  want it to look ghetto. ya know resale value and all i want it to look factory
why are you replacing the shock and worrying about resale value? just keep the stock shock to reinstall if you ever sell it.

if you're that worried about looks and don't like the answers then paint it. why ask for opinions if it seems like you've already made up your mind

#9 ·
in my first post i asked if anyone had painted or powdercoated theirs? and nobody answered that they just said ways to get around it and i dont want to do that. i want it to look factory when i ride it and i dont want anyone else pointing out it isint. i never asked for opinons on it just what would look/hold up better the paint or powder coat? you are seeming a little angry,mad,annoyed at the way your typing? if its bothering you not to help me dont but please keep the forums friendly

#10 ·
i think no one will provide an answer since asking or even considering to powdercoat the spring is definitely a "unique" thought. i can probably speak for the vast majority, but rather than spending $$$ on painting or powdercoating a spring, most would prefer to use that money and upgrade to a real aftermarket shock like a penske or ohlins rather than staying with a GSX-R shock.

besides, most people like the different colored spring...especially the yellow on blue (hotness). ;D

#12 ·
kosta212 said:
and the spring itself has a latex/rubber type coating for corrosion protection purposes. So painting and/or powdercoating would involve stripping that off first as well
Matoo said:
Like someone else said, it is more of a flexible rubberized coating. It needs to flex a lot, so regular paint or powdercoating won't work.
i think thats what you meant. but your post alone was probably the best answer ive gotten thank you very much that is something i didnt think of.

G
#13 ·
personally I'd like the blue and yellow mix but heres another option, get some colored wire loom/conduit from an auto parts store if you get the right size it'll "crimp" right over the spring, or if you wouldn't like the "ridged" look of loom get colored silicone hose, but I bet that will be a bad day putting that over your spring. (buy beer 1st) 8)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.