Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2001 Suzuki SV650
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’ve been thinking of repainting my ‘01 naked but the fuel tank decal is making me a little nervous. After searching the boards it seems pretty clear that the decal is applied under the clear coat and is essentially impossible to remove. One commenter suggested simply painting over the decal would be the best option but I’m worried that it might show through in the right lighting due to the texture change. Does anyone have experience painting over the decals that can confirm it’ll work out?

·
Registered
859 Posts
It will show through, definitely. That's also a red flag when I look at used bikes: generally, a quick paint job over factory decals is a clue that the bike was wrecked and hastily repaired. I wouldn't suggest it unless you really want to take the time to remove them and sand the tank.

·
Super Moderator
7,091 Posts
It will show through, definitely. That's also a red flag when I look at used bikes: generally, a quick paint job over factory decals is a clue that the bike was wrecked and hastily repaired. I wouldn't suggest it unless you really want to take the time to remove them and sand the tank.
Absolutely...

·
Registered
2001 Suzuki SV650
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the response. I figured that would be an issue. I’m starting to get some fading paint on the front and rear fenders which is why I’d like to repaint everything. I don’t trust myself to match the paint correctly to the tank so I’ll look into sanding the whole thing bare.

·
Registered
141 Posts
I picked up a blue 2001 last summer. I'm not a big fan of the ubiquitous blue, but considering the bike is 20 years old and the resale value of a really nice one vs. an OK one isn't really that much, I don't really think I want to put a lot of time & effort into a nice paint job. Mine's got a dent in the tank and some oxidization here & there.

I'm really considering just doing some Plastidip in non-stock color that I like more. Plastidip ain't great, but it requires less prep to look passable than Krylon plus it's not that hard to remove should you decide to sell.

Vinyl wrap is another option. But I've tried that before and once you start dealing with compound curves, that shit is hard to do well. Though a pro vinyl wrap is still cheaper than a professional paint.

·
Registered
859 Posts
Thanks for the response. I figured that would be an issue. I’m starting to get some fading paint on the front and rear fenders which is why I’d like to repaint everything. I don’t trust myself to match the paint correctly to the tank so I’ll look into sanding the whole thing bare.
Maybe it's just me but faded factory paint on a UJM is patina money can't buy, and it's yet to be desired by most so it carries some cred in my book. I would get a tank bag (or better yet some tank grips) and cover anything you don't feel like looking at.
I had a '75 cb550 in original orange metal flake. Metal flake in the 70s was legit too, it was huge. This tank had a sun fade on the top that still shone fantastically but the silver came through and overpowered the sunburst orange in places. I did a frame up restoration on that bike but never touched that paint! I couldn't improve on that.

·
Registered
141 Posts
I had a '75 cb550 in original orange metal flake. Metal flake in the 70s was legit too, it was huge. This tank had a sun fade on the top that still shone fantastically but the silver came through and overpowered the sunburst orange in places. I did a frame up restoration on that bike but never touched that paint! I couldn't improve on that.
I had a CB500 in similar shape. Those old CB paint jobs were beautiful. But I don't think the stock paint on an SV is anything to compare it to. Especially if it's a blue (they're just far too ubiquitous), or that nasty orange/copper (that was only a gen2 option, right?).

·
Registered
859 Posts
I thought it was only the later years that had clearcoat over the decals. :unsure:
Legit point, my '07 was de-badged before I got it and it has perfect original paint.
It's blue as well, with a nice metal flake imo. They may be common as far as SVs go but SVs are getting rare. I think it's a paint job worth preserving.

·
Registered
2001 Suzuki SV650
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Maybe it's just me but faded factory paint on a UJM is patina money can't buy, and it's yet to be desired by most so it carries some cred in my book. I would get a tank bag (or better yet some tank grips) and cover anything you don't feel like looking at.
I hear you. The tank actually looks great, it’s the front and rear fenders that look lackluster especially in sunlight. The bike is still painted with the original Candy Anteres Red. I was considering painting the bike a dark grey based on another K1 naked that I fell in love with. I might just try to clay bar and wax the fenders to see if the paint will pop a little more. Could be pitted clear coat but it’s hard to tell since the bike is way overdue for a good detail. I’ll post a picture of the bike below. The tank looks as pretty in person as it does in the picture but unfortunately it doesn’t really capture how dull the fender is.

Wheel Tire Fuel tank Vehicle Plant

1 - 11 of 11 Posts