Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner
121 - 136 of 136 Posts

·
Registered
1,183 Posts
Once the clear coat has cured use something like this to get a deeper gloss but again do a test area out-of-site first,

Reactions: Geo Smith

·
Registered
2000 SV650 N
814 Posts
Discussion Starter · #122 ·
I've not even considered tank protectors. I prefer the clean look of the unadorned tank. But, recalling my racing days, I would rub the paint off the tank with my knees. So I guess I need something. Are they easy to remove without hurting the paint? Do they create friction between your tank and your pants? I've simply never ridden with tank protectors.

·
Registered
2000 SV650 N
814 Posts
Discussion Starter · #123 ·
Once the clear coat has cured use something like this to get a deeper gloss but again do a test area out-of-site first,

I'll certainly hit it with that or something similar after curing (in about 25 days). Do you typically apply it by hand or with a buffer?

·
Registered
926 Posts
Considering the work you put into the paint, I would opt for TechSpec tank grips. The biggest deal will be finding something that doesn't move, seeing as rattlecan paint will probably not hold up to the abuse I put my factory paint through with the on/off/on again repeat action. Like I said, I have had a time with these over the years. Here is a little comparison shot I took one of the times I reapplied:

Wheel Tire Fuel tank Vehicle Automotive lighting

Tire Wheel Fuel tank Vehicle Hood

Bear in mind, this was just a week after I applied them; the 3M actually cleared up as well as the Gorilla glue did. Neither of them held up though, they lifted at the edges which invariably catches bits of dirt and roadgrime between the grip and the paint. I just removed and Goo-Gone'd the tank last weekend and it took a lot of elbow grease and even a little bit of careful work with a straight razor. No harm to that factory blue paint, thank goodness. It still looks miles-deep. My riding buddy said this tank is a real testament to Suzuki's painting process: 42k+ miles and it still looks brand new!

·
Registered
2000 SV650 N
814 Posts
Discussion Starter · #125 ·
You're spot on. That paint is beautiful. I need to bone up on these things. I thought it was a simple matter of sticking them on like stickers. I did not know you had to glue them on. And what's with the masking tape? I need to smarten' myself up.

·
Registered
926 Posts
They come with a sheet of 3M adhesive (it's kinda like plastic wrap covered in glue), but mine didn't hold at all. I think they had been sitting on the shelf for a while. The trick, supposedly, is to make sure everything is good and hot when you apply the grips. That's pretty easy to do here in the desert, and I put these on in the heat of Summer. Re-applications were done similarly and worked better, but it was that edge adhesion that really never held up. I left that masking tape on for a week in an attempt to fight that. At the end of the day, I suspect these are just a little too big. They need to cover too many complex contours on the tank. I think if I removed 1/4" to 1/2" around the perimeter of the grips I would have better luck, but for now, I'm going to try the board foam.
The only thing I didn't try (and should have) is StompGrip's adhesive primer. I found very little actual experience of people using it though and I just want to try something else. If I go back to them I will probably try that.

·
Registered
1,183 Posts
I'll certainly hit it with that or something similar after curing (in about 25 days). Do you typically apply it by hand or with a buffer?
I prefer by hand. Too easy to,"Burn" the surface with a buffer. I can use buffers and had to in my job. I recall early on in my work in Germany/Lufthansa having to polish the bare aluminium under body fuselages of large and small aircraft. Not a nice job and akin to weight-lifting for 8/10 hour shifts as the old polishing machines were nothing like the modern light-weight ones. Also you end up Black as hell with the Alloy dust even with disposable white paper overalls/coveralls :O

·
Registered
2000 SV650 N
814 Posts
Discussion Starter · #128 ·
I prefer by hand. Too easy to,"Burn" the surface with a buffer. I can use buffers and had to in my job. I recall early on in my work in Germany/Lufthansa having to polish the bare aluminium under body fuselages of large and small aircraft. Not a nice job and akin to weight-lifting for 8/10 hour shifts as the old polishing machines were nothing like the modern light-weight ones. Also you end up Black as hell with the Alloy dust even with disposable white paper overalls/coveralls :O
Damn, that sounds brutal! It can be amusing looking back at some of the jobs we did early in our careers. I was a roughneck on a tugboat riding up and down the Mississippi River on summer breaks. Tough stuff.

I found the polish you mentioned earlier on Amazon. I'll certainly do it by hand. Thanks bud.

·
Registered
1,183 Posts
Damn, that sounds brutal! It can be amusing looking back at some of the jobs we did early in our careers. I was a roughneck on a tugboat riding up and down the Mississippi River on summer breaks. Tough stuff.

I found the polish you mentioned earlier on Amazon. I'll certainly do it by hand. Thanks bud.
I loved the job. Paid well and some good guys in the crew and Hamburg is a wicked good city. A bit like New York inasmuch as it never sleeps. ;-) I like live music ( Blues/Rock) and there were bands on 7 nights a week somewhere in loads of bars and small venues :)

These were the ,"Magic Carpets" we used to paint the [email protected] Lufthansa.

·
Registered
2000 SV650 N
814 Posts
Discussion Starter · #130 ·
Very cool video. It's not something we often think about, but the shear magnitude of painting an aircraft is amazing. My little motorcycle? Pfft!.

Yes, Hamburg is a cool city. My wife was born and raised there. In more normal times we visited her family at least once a year. They live in Glinde. The Christmas markets were exquisite, and the Reeperbahn reminded me a lot of the New Orleans French Quarter.

·
Registered
926 Posts
I applied some board tape last night. It went on really nice, and the 3M adhesive seems more capable than the stuff I've used in the past. The material itself is lighter, and conforms to the tank well too. I've only taken it around in jeans, I hope to get the leathers on and hit the canyons this weekend. We will see though, I have some stuff going on that may bump the riding. I'll report back if I make it out.

Tire Wheel Fuel tank Vehicle Automotive tire

·
Registered
2000 SV650 N
814 Posts
Discussion Starter · #132 ·
Interesting look Drew. Pardon my naiveite, but is board tape used on surf boards? And did you simply cut it to shape, spray the back with adhesive, and stuck it on?

·
Registered
926 Posts
Yes, it's for surfboards. In fact, it was even easier as it comes peel and stick: no spraying involved.
It's an interesting look certainly. I instantly liked it, but I know this is more "my style" than what may be conventional. Maybe a Cali thing, I dunno. I got three strips for $15, cut up two for the tank, messed up one of them while I was cutting so it worked out perfect. I still have plenty of odd little pieces if I wanna change it up a little.
AQUBONA 3 Piece Stomp Pad... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08H8FS5HH?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share

·
Registered
382 Posts
Drew, Learned something new. I wouldn't have thought of board tape. I always thought surfers waxed their boards for grip. I'm surprised you didn't go to one of the local surf shops since you live in SoCal. I think I've seen you riding on O'side Blvd.

·
Registered
486 Posts
I've done three bikes with Stompgrips. The directions say to heat pads and target area (tank) with a heat gun. I just left the bikes and pads in the summer sun here in sunny sacramento ca, none have moved out of place or any edges peeling. I've used other grips, the stompgrips work well and have a high rating with folks.

121 - 136 of 136 Posts