Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
7,347 Posts
When you say it's scratching... Is it going clear through to the paint, or is it the clear that's marking? And is it literally scratching, or is it chipping at the edges?

What sort of clear did you use? I did a mudguard with cheapy acrylic clear a while back and it basically seemed never to harden properly- it wasn't supposed to beed baked, but it gave the impression that it did. I've just done a bunch of panels with 1K clear and that's a very different story. (I, ahem, tested it by dropping my seat hump...)

One thing I did notice is that the clear I'm using needs to be applied very differently from paint. Paint you do several thin coats. This clearcoat works best when sprayed on very heavy from very short range. When applied like paint it goes on almost powdery, as if it's partly dry before it hits, and while it does work it needs a load of finishing. Sprayed at close range on a narrow fan, it goes on thick and smooth and only needs rubbing compound, no wet and dry. Try that with paint and it'd be run city.

·
Registered
7,347 Posts
I think we're off on a bit of a wrong 'un here... Krylon might be rubbish, and the prep work might have been lacking, but neither of those things should cause the top coat to scratch so easily. Bad paint or bad prep would usually cause it to chip easily, or delaminate. It shouldn't allow scratching in this way (unless it's ridiculously thick and vey soft, where it would allow the top coat to dent). But easy scratches has to be a failing of the clear coat or the clear coat application. It sounds like it's either not hardened enough or it's too thin. If the top coat weren't sticking properly due to bad prep between apaint and clear, then yes it'd scratch easy, but it'd also probably show other damage- chips, possibly flaking at the edges- which he doesn't have.

What clearcoat was it you used? The same manufacturer?

1 - 2 of 2 Posts