Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay. A couple of weeks ago I posted up about how to paint my fender and hugger.

I bought a Krylon spray paint, which was supposed to bond well to plastic so over the silver colored plastic fender and hugger it went.

I painted them black and put down several coats of clear coat over the black.

To be honest, I really like the way it sets off against the silver of the bike so I'm pleasantly surprised at my phenomenal artistic spirit (yeah, I'll shut up about that now).

Problem. when I was putting the pieces back down and was screwing them in they scratched incredibly easily.

What, if anything did I do wrong? How can I protect the paint so it doesn't look like crap after the usual road hazards kick up???

Thanks.

PS- I'll post pics up this afternoon or evening so you see what I mean.

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Prep??

I cleaned it real well. Yup, that's about it. I asked at my local ACE Hardware store and they said that it shouldn't be a problem.

I was thinking that it could be a problem, but eased my mind when they told me that it was going to be okay.

So. Now that I'm thinking that I SHOULD prep the stuff. What do I do now?

How do I prep the surface of the plastic for painting when it has the silver coat on there? Is there a way to remove the coat?? Is there a way to work with it on there?

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hmmmm.

Okay. By scratching I mean that it's going right through the clear and black paint that I painted on. It's going down to the original silver plastic color as if the hard work my index finger slaved over was nothing. I took a good look at it after an 80 mile 80 - 90mph trek today, but found no chipping or cracking at the edges at all.

I sprayed the clear coat on as the instructions said-- about 12 in. away. It looked like it was barely making it to the paint, but I put on several coats.

Oh yeah, the spray paint that I used was called Krylon-- both the black and the clear. Both of them stated, on the bottles, that they were especially good to use on plastic as it had special bonding properties.

The stuff is supposed to be good, but I'm having my doubts.

I don't know if waxing several coats on will make a difference, but I'm thinking of giving that a try next.

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Granted, I'm going to wind up redoing the fender and hugger, but here's how it looks.

Of course, that's if I got it right.

[/img]

[/img]

[/img]

Oh. A couple of things. Firstly, thanks all for the replies. I've got more work to do.

Regarding the Krylon-- I let it sit for a few hours before I even touched it. Wound up getting into a bottle of wine with an ex-girlfriend while it was drying. Crap! That was a boo-boo.

Nope. Didn't use primer, didn't know to prep (or even how to prep) properly, and the ACE guys I spoke to said that I could just go ahead.

What I'm going to do one of these weekends is strip off the clear and black, sand down and prep the fender and hugger properly, redo this, put on a couple of wax coats, and see what I come up with.

... and yes, I put a LOT of reflective tape all over my helmet. It may look icky, but it's gotten me noticed.

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Interesting.

Yeah, it was a clear coat by Krylon, the same manufacturer as the paint. I think it was probably too thin of a couple of coats as while I was spraying it I noticed that it looked like was barely reaching the surface. However, at the time I thought that I had followed the manufacturers recommendation and the stuff should have been on there.

Next time there will be a very thick coat of the clear stuff as well as the wax.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts