Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently bought a stock tail off Ebay. It wasn't in quite as good of shape as I hoped, but it was being painted anyway, so I wasn't to concerned. I have a mechanic at work that knew a painter and all he does are bikes. He said he did good work and would be cheap, so I figured why not. Well, I got it back today and it was $100 to do it solid black. He already had the color, didn't have to order anything. He told me he had to sand and re-paint it 3 times because the paint kept pitting. Anyway, he showed me where it kept pitting and he can't figure out why, but that's the best it is going to get.

It's not horrible, but it is noticeable if you get close. I am kinda picky to begin with, so not sure if it will bother me or not. Plus it seems $100 is high knowing that he didn't get it quite right. I don't really want to say anything just because my employee was doing me a favor, but then again, the work is questionable. I don't know if I should just take it as a learning experience and live with it, or basically tell him I want it right.

·
Premium Member
6,199 Posts
I've done some painting.... the pitting is usaully reffered to "fish eyes". It's because the surface wasn't properly prepared.

IMO you get what you pay for and $100 to apint the tail is pretty cheap.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I guess that was what I was trying to find out....what is a fair price. I personally know another painter that does awesome work, but won't paint bikes.

For $100 bucks, I figure just go with it. It's going to get scratched eventually anyway, I'm just a step ahead of the game.

He claims he prepped and re-prepped, but said there must of been something on the surface he wasn't getting off.

·
Registered
63 Posts
+1

The surface needs to be cleaned with solvent or a product similar to SEM solve prior to starting the repair.  Cleaning after sanding can difficult because the contaminates can be driven into the surface.  The only thing to do would be to sand it back down, prime with a good sealer and re-shoot ($).

Yeah...  It's a touchy subject.  If he didn't get it right after 3 tries I doubt he'll get it right the 4th.  Although, if you like the finish overall, you might ask him to give it another shot.  This time you'll take care of the prep work (cleaning and sanding) and he can just shoot the sealer/paint.  I'd just tell him you're just picky about your the bike and you'd like to try again if he's up for it.  Just keep it mellow.  It doesn't have to be an "in your face" conversation.

$02

·
Registered
653 Posts
athflying79 said:
He claims he prepped and re-prepped, but said there must of been something on the surface he wasn't getting off.
Thats probably the case. Of course, whatever was proving difficult for the paint to stick and shine smoothly, is under the paint now.

Considering the prep work, painting and cost of paint, even if he had it in stock, your paying for about 1.5 hours of labor and materials. Not a horrible deal.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.