Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

Pain after Riding, Why?

10K views 38 replies 26 participants last post by  candela 
#1 ·
I'm not really sure where to put my question, but here seemed like a good idea. A few weekends ago, I rode about 75 miles on Saturday, mostly straight roads. On Sunday, I rode another 50 on a twisty route for about 120 miles total. That's not a lot, I know, and the reason for my question. Monday morning, my left hip was in serious pain, and left groin muscle really in pain! Now, I'm 5'6", 160 lbs with athletic build, so the SV is perfect for my size, but why would I be jacked up so much after only 120 miles? I find the seat to be a little wide for me, and the pegs feel OK, and even find my bars are in an OK position (I guess, this is my 1st road-bike, so I have nothing to compare it to). I'm wondering if anyone else has experienced this odd pain after a long ride, and what they did to alleviate it in the future, either by changing the riding position of the bike (bars, pegs/rearsets, seat) or overall body position (the shoulder-hip-knee-ankle geometry). I do feel 'tucked-in' when I'm riding, and do move around on the seat when attacking corners, so I don't really know the cause of the pain. Maybe I'm just rambling (a possibility), but just wanted to put this out there and get some thoughts from some of you. Thanks for taking the time to read my post.

-- C.J.

#3 ·
Nope. I know I live in Colorado, but we've been riding in 60-70° all winter. Also, never thought I've been much of a tank-squeezer, but maybe I was doing it without realizing it. Thanks for the thought, it's something I'll be aware of the next ride.

#5 ·
havent had the groin muscle pain but after a long ride i have had the pain, also
in my left hip. i think its due to your leg unconciously sitting at a funny angle
on the bike for a long time. the pain subsided after i got off the bike though
and was able to walk around. sounds like tank squeeze like said. could also
be prostatitus due to long hours sitting on a thin motorcycle seat.

#6 ·
You might be gettin' old... lol. Happens to the best of us. Take one part Icee Hot, one part cold beverage (I prefer beer), with a dash of TV and a couch.

On a serious note though, I have a Corbin seat on my SV now. Makes a HUGE difference. I feel less sore after all day rides now. And now I'm saving up to buy one for my Beemer. Awsome seat.

#7 ·
Your pain could be caused by lots of different things some of which have nothing to do with riding the motorcycle.
You went a 120 miles. Have you ever ridden that far before? What was the difference if you have? What where you wearing? Leathers or jeans? How was the ride? Bumpy smooth? Did you feel pain or soreness the first night?

The list of questions could go on and on

I have had the pain similar to what you are describing but it was in my lower back and radiated down. For me the cause was having the bike set to stiff on a typical Sat morning ride of 150-250 miles.

Recommend motrin, motrin, motrin.

#8 ·
are you counter-steering or just using your body weight to initiate a lean going into a corner?

trying to move the bike around with your weight and leg muscles will work but you'll wear yourself out, plus it's just not as effective as countersteering.

#9 ·
i find new pains after my first ride of the year and the older i get, the more i find.

when was your last check-up? maybe it's not a bad time to see a doctor. maybe you have a cyst or something that is aggrevated by riding a motorcycle.

anyway, try stretching before you ride and if you can't wave your knees and your elbows, then you're holding on too tight.

#10 ·
Every now and again I'll get a NASTY cramp in my left groin when riding twisties. I'll seriously have to pull off the road ASAP and stretch. I can feel it for 3 days.

Getting old blows.

#16 ·
I am a personal trainer, and I am in pretty darn good shape, but even after I do a triple digit ride, I still feel some pains for the next few days. Especially if it has been a little while. Whether you know it or not, you have to squeeze the tank, and men especially have weaker adducters (inner thigh, some might say groin). So, when we ride we can tend to stress those muscles more than normal. Generally I try to stop around once per hour on straight aways. Twisties are not as bad for me, because many more muscles are engaging and relaxing, so it is not as bad. Even on those long straights, if you will just stop, walk around your bike and stretch quickly, it will help. I should come up with the ultimate bikers workout... MAKE MILLIONS (of pennies)!

#23 ·
I just want to make sure we are clear on this, as I think there might be some confusion. Squeezing the tank might be the cause of pain, but it is a good thing! If you dont grip the tank, you will be holding your weight up somewhere, and that will cause pain too, more in my experiance.

Stretching is a must in my eyes. I stretch before any ride, and I find it will increase the mileage I can comfortably do by a lot.

#29 ·
Thanks for all the respnses, guys. Sounds like I'm not alone. +1 on the beer and motrin! I've been pretty stagnant this winter, but once it warms up, I'll mtn. bike 3-4 times a week, so maybe my pain is just due to inactivity. It sure sucks. Hey, B-650s, PM me anytime. I ride with another few local SVS guys on here, too.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.