Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,199 Posts
I have no valuable input here... I also don't have a tach so I don't know the RPM range real well... BUT...

I find if you're running up high enough to hit the rev limiter then you're losing power. The SV makes peak power I guess 500-1K RPM's before the limiter. Hence upping the rev limiter probably wouldn't get you any better performance. Also with the weak crank you might be setting yourself up for a super time bomb special ;D

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
donniej said:
I find if you're running up high enough to hit the rev limiter then you're losing power.  The SV makes peak power I guess 500-1K RPM's before the limiter.  Hence upping the rev limiter probably wouldn't get you any better performance.
On the track, being able to over rev is a plus...

·
Registered
2,066 Posts
How does overrevving help? when downshifting it keeps the rpm's higher and in a bigger part of the powerband? As donnie said after a certain rpm you begin losing power so i dont see how this helps.

RandyO guess i shouldntve been so nervous the times i hit 12k lol

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
donniej said:
Why?  I'm not trying to heckle you, I'm just curious. 
When I hit the rev limiter I just let off the gas a little and power shift off it...
Being able to over rev let you stay in your gear instead of upshifting just before you brake for a curve and then dowshifting to get out of the curve.

G

·
toobrokeforthat said:
How does overrevving help? when downshifting it keeps the rpm's higher and in a bigger part of the powerband? As donnie said after a certain rpm you begin losing power so i dont see how this helps.
on the track you go faster if using all of revs even tough power curve is falling down after pik power.when you upshift it puts you at higher point on curve.over rev is very important.

·
Registered
5,171 Posts
Over-revving past the rating of the valve-springs is bad (valve float). Revving past the tachometer redline does not necessarily mean it's passed the limit of the valve springs.
I believe that more HP in a higher gear (ie lower RPM's where the HP is higher in the next gear up) will generally not equal higher HP where the rubber meets the road, which is the only number that really matters (the numbers that include weight of the bike and rider and friction of the drivetrain). Please correct me if I misstated this.

·
Premium Member
11,333 Posts
toobrokeforthat said:
How does overrevving help? when downshifting it keeps the rpm's higher and in a bigger part of the powerband?  As donnie said after a certain rpm you begin losing power so i dont see how this helps.

RandyO guess i shouldntve been so nervous the times i hit 12k lol
the first time was right after I switched to GP shifting, I had 45k or so miles on my SV at the time, I accidently shifted to 1st instead of 3rd but I was easing off the throttle and was able to react quickly and get the clutch pulled back in, I prolly only hit 14k± momentarily, the tach needle was pointed at the water temp light

the second time, I was really getting on it, I had the throttle pinned, for some supid reason, I downshifted into 1st again instead of 3rd, I was going 70mph,  I reacted real slow, I didn't realize what was going on,  I saw the tach needle pointed at the water temp light for what I thought was forever but prolly 2-3 seconds at most. I had about 92k miles on my SV at the time, I've put 30k on it since and it still runs like a charm

you can understand why I think SV engines are bulletproof, maybe I'm just real lucky

·
Registered
606 Posts
I've run up to 12500 without a limiter. Doesn't make any extra power up there and lots of bad stuff happens to the rod bearings.

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
i have no idea what over-revving is. i shift when the bike needs a shift. that is all. 8) ;D

·
Super Moderator
8,820 Posts
Kris87 said:
i have no idea what over-revving is. i shift when the bike needs a shift. that is all. 8) ;D
And if we asked you, nicely of course, how many engines have you blown ... would we get an honest answer? ;D

G

·
you will not blow motor by over reving it on upshifts.you may on downshift.
you can bounce on rev limiter all day alone.

·
Premium Member
11,333 Posts
TWF said:
you will not blow motor by over reving it on upshifts.you may on downshift.
you can bounce on rev limiter all day alone.
what is most likely to happen, float a valve thru a piston? bend a valve stem? throw a rod ? any of the above ?

1 - 20 of 26 Posts