Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,217 Posts
Back pack on your back for class days. Add (ie strap on back) a frame pack size or duffel for longer trips. Go to good will or salivation army for cheap bags. I use a green surplus alice pack sometimes.

When you find a good deal on saddlebags/tank bag, don't e afraid to purchase.

Another idea is get some cheap .50 cal ammo cans and find someone to weld you a support frame to attach back of bike.

Being frugal sucks, but inspires great ingenuity if you let it!

Have fun and ride safe!

Sent from my iPhone using Motorcycle

·
Registered
1,217 Posts
What's your location btw? I like Climbin and am in MD for a little while yet

Sent from my iPhone using Motorcycle

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the reply. I am in central California. I have enough money to buy soft bags or cheap hardbags. What would you recommend?

·
Registered
100 Posts
I've got the same issue. The saddle bags I have hold an ok amount of gear, but if i want to go backpacking they won't fit. I have a 60L Osprey backpack, how would I properly secure and transport that on my '07 650?

·
Registered
8,290 Posts
Could you bungee a backpacker's rig to the frame of a Ventura Pack Rack?

http://www.ventura-bike.com/products/packrack.aspx

For low budget camping and hiking trips, I would get a second-hand set of soft luggage (I've used Cortech, Fieldsheer, and Givi -- I'd rank them in that order for quality, from not bad to very good). Then bungee your sleeping bag, sleep pad, and tent on top of the passenger seat or the tail bag. A dry bag to transport the sleeping bag in is also a good idea.

Like this:

·
Registered
8,290 Posts
Thanks for the reply! I ended up getting the NelsonRig Cl-850.

http://www.nelsonrigg.com/store/product.aspx?pid=457

I like the rack you linked as well. How does it attach to the sv650?

I might head up to Big Sur this weekend to camp and see Reel Rock Tour 7!

Nelson Rigg makes good stuff. I assume you bought new? Keep your paperwork and sales receipts, and fill out your warranty registration.. Nelson-Rigg has a lifetime warranty for the original purchaser, and they stand behind their products, but you need to register and have your receipt.

http://www.nelsonrigg.com/store/warranty.aspx

Another tip: I don't bother with rain covers (except for my tank bag). They take up room in the bags when you don't need them, and they don't work when you do need them. They are not waterproof, they flap around at speed, and they invariably fly off as you're traveling down the road. Plus, unless you always ride with them on, you have to pull over and time putting them on for when you think it will rain. Instead, I line my soft bags with plastic garbage can liners, and I pack my clothes and other things inside the plastic bags. Then I twist the plastic bags closed, tuck the ends, and zip the luggage shut. I'm ready for whatever the weather will be. If it rains, my stuff stays dry, even if the luggage gets wet.

The Ventura Rack is available for the first gen SV650. I've never used one, but I've seen the rack on various motorcycles and it's a quality piece. This should give you some idea of how it attaches:

http://www.ventura-bike.com/fitments.aspx?modelid=675

Wish I was going with you to Big Sur. I will get back for another visit to California, someday.... Have fun and stay safe!

·
Registered
1,617 Posts
Thanks for the reply. I am in central California. I have enough money to buy soft bags or cheap hardbags. What would you recommend?
If you have the money for hardbags, I would recommend them. They're more secure, waterproof, and more durable (for the most part). Did you figure in the price of a mount when determining how much hard bags will run you?

If you're looking for cheap and large capacity, you could do what I did and bolt a universal rack (or reconverted bbq grill, etc.) to the passenger seat. Then bolt a large waterproof bag to the universal rack. I have a
that I bought from Amazon for about $40 shipped. It has a somewhat solid bottom, so I drilled four holes in the bottom, ran bolts through them and mounted them to the universal rack. If you re-purpose something for a rack to mount on the rear seat, you can have excellent waterproof capacity for under $50.

If you want to see some pics of my setup, click on my ride report in my signature.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Nelson Rigg makes good stuff. I assume you bought new? Keep your paperwork and sales receipts, and fill out your warranty registration.. Nelson-Rigg has a lifetime warranty for the original purchaser., and they stand behind their products, but you need to register and have your receipt.

http://www.nelsonrigg.com/store/warranty.aspx

Another tip: I don't bother with rain covers (except for my tank bag). They are not waterproof, they flap around at speed, and they invariably fly off as you're traveling down the road. Instead, I line my soft bags with plastic garbage can liners, and I pack my clothes and other things inside the plastic bags. Then I twist the plastic bags closed, tuck the ends, and zip the luggage shut. My stiff stays dry, even if the luggage gets wet.

The Ventura Rack is available for the first gen SV650. I've never used one, but I've seen the rack on various motorcycles and it's a quality piece. This should give you some idea of how it attaches:

http://www.ventura-bike.com/fitments.aspx?modelid=675

Wish I was going with you to Big Sur. I will get back for another visit to California, someday.... Have fun and stay safe!
Thanks! Would I just need the packrack, or do I need L-Brackets as well?

If you have the money for hardbags, I would recommend them. They're more secure, waterproof, and more durable (for the most part). Did you figure in the price of a mount when determining how much hard bags will run you?

If you're looking for cheap and large capacity, you could do what I did and bolt a universal rack (or reconverted bbq grill, etc.) to the passenger seat. Then bolt a large waterproof bag to the universal rack. I have a 70L Kwik Tech Dry Pak that I bought from Amazon for about $40 shipped. It has a somewhat solid bottom, so I drilled four holes in the bottom, ran bolts through them and mounted them to the universal rack. If you re-purpose something for a rack to mount on the rear seat, you can have excellent waterproof capacity for under $50.

If you want to see some pics of my setup, click on my ride report in my signature.
I got the Nelsonrig cl-850. I might just strap my backpacking backpack to the back of the bike as well.

·
Registered
8,290 Posts
IDK, but Ventura has some informational videos on their website:

http://www.ventura-bike.com/videos.aspx?video=installation

They also list phone, fax, and email contact info:

http://www.ventura-bike.com/aboutus.aspx

I suggested the Ventura Rack might work to transport a backpaker's rig, as the form factor strikes me as something that will accommodate it. However, I have no idea how big and heavy your rig is. Also, as I've neither seen nor heard of anyone using a Ventura Rack to transport a backpacker's rig, maybe you should contact Ventura and ask them about it.

If it works, though, let us know. I'm sure others would be interested in this.

·
Registered
1,617 Posts

I got the Nelsonrig cl-850. I might just strap my backpacking backpack to the back of the bike as well.
I hadn't noticed your post that you already bought a setup. That Nelson Riggs saddlebag set you got looks nice!

·
Registered
705 Posts
Buy an additional rear seat pan and strip the foam off of it. Buy a top case off of eBay and bolt it onto the plastic seat pan. Boom. waterproof, lockable luggage.

·
Registered
100 Posts
I've already experienced the stupid rain covers, damn things ripped in no time. I do like the idea of the waterproof bags, being a hiker already, I have already tested them.

Thanks for the ideas guys!!!

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I got my bike back from the shop and the Nelsonrig saddlebags today. The bike is running great! My girlfriend and I are going to ride our motorcycles up to big sur tomorrow afternoon and come back on Sunday! I will let you know how the saddlebags work out.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Because of the aftermarket tailpipe on my bike, I had to mount the saddle bags higher and farther forward. Not the best looking but functional. I will let you know how the big sur tour goes.

·
Registered
10 Posts
For low budget camping and hiking trips, I would get a second-hand set of soft luggage ...
Its been a year Ive ridden with the cheapie Cycle Gear Bilt $50 saddlebags. I just took them off and want to give them away rather than place in trash can.

Im in San Diego, you can Message me through the board. I have pics, also. posted Sept 29 '12.

(BTW, replaced them with Indonesian Alpinstars Knight saddlebags, larger.)

1 - 19 of 19 Posts