Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A few days ago, I purchased an Arai Signet GT for what i thought was a decent deal...$250 (270'ish out the door). Today, i looked inside of the helmet and noticed that it was manufactured in "05/00". Assuming this is following typical date layout...the helmet is about 5 years old. Is the helmet still useable or should i try to return it?

thanks in advance.

·
Premium Member
3,557 Posts
This is like buying a steak at the grocery store past its 'good until' date.

Although people use old helmets - they do have a shelf-life whether they're used or not. That thing is not 'new' and it's not a deal.

I wouldn't wear it - and certainly wouldn't pay nearly $300 for it.

·
Registered
745 Posts
Somebody explain this to me. I didn't know helmets went bad like milk. I thought they were made out of materials that are supposed to be durable enough to crash in. How can sitting on a shelf in a controlled environment mess those materials up? Seriously, I'm not trying to be an a$$, I really don't understand. If somebody had some info, please share. ;)

·
Registered
53 Posts
The fact that it is older and has been on their shelf for a while, is probably why you got a "deal."

Most Arais go for close to MSRP, now that internet sales aren't technically kosher with the factory. MSRP for a Signet is in the high four hundred dollar range for a solid color. Sounds like you got what you paid for. (not trying to be a jerk, just stating the reality)

G

·
WeezerKDI said:
Somebody explain this to me. I didn't know helmets went bad like milk. I thought they were made out of materials that are supposed to be durable enough to crash in. How can sitting on a shelf in a controlled environment mess those materials up? Seriously, I'm not trying to be an a$$, I really don't understand. If somebody had some info, please share. ;)
from http://www.smf.org :
The five year replacement recommendation is based on a consensus by both the helmet manufacturers and the Snell Foundation. Glues, resins and other materials used in helmet production over can affect liner materials. Hair oils, body fluids and cosmetics, as well as normal "wear and tear" all contribute to helmet degradation. Petroleum based products present in cleaners, paints, fuels and other commonly encountered materials may also degrade materials used in many helmets possibly degrading performance. Additionally, experience indicates there will be a noticeable improvement in the protective characteristic of helmets over a five year period due to advances in materials, designs, production methods and the standards. Thus, the recommendation for five year helmet replacement is a judgment call stemming from a prudent safety philosophy.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for your responses. I think i might return it but i just want to add one more question. Has it really expired? All the websites i read about helmet life being five years assumes it has multiple hours of being worn. It doesn't say anything about an unworn helmet.

thanks

·
Registered
87 Posts
I agree take it back and if they give you any trouble notify Arai. I somehow doubt they would take this lightly. From Arai's site: http://www.araiamericas.com/Warranty.html#
"Arai helmets are warranted as serviceable only for the properly fitted first user, for 5 years of use, but no more than 7 years from date of manufacture, for materials and workmanship"
There is a reason they stop the warranty at 7 years no matter what.

Best of luck.
to

·
Registered
1,607 Posts
Well I'm going to go against the grain here and say BS. I do not believe that the 5-year mark is anything other than an attempt to get people to buy more helmets. I could see claiming wear and tear on a helmet that has been USED for 5 years. But absolutely not on a helmet that is boxed, bagged, and sitting in a climate-controlled environment like a store or stockroom.

If this were true every petroleum-based product would be scrapped after a few years--which they certainly are not. Anything made of plastic would be. Most of the parts of your car, your kitchen, all of your consumer electronics. Hell, I have $15 model kits that are 20 years old and show no signs of being brittle or degrading in any way. I dont see how a helmet sitting in a box for 5 years would go "bad"

Its marketing, thats it.

·
BANNED!!!
4,805 Posts
I agree with Nova, as long as it hasn't been consisently used and abused for the 5 years it should still be top notch.

·
Registered
398 Posts
The deal with helmets "going bad" is the liner is still outgassing and undergoing chemical reactions over time. After 5 years it may no longer retain sufficient protective qualities because of this. Its not something you can see, but a change in the chemical structure of the liner.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I know the 5 year rule and I have to agree with Nova on the marketing end of getting you to buy a new helmet.  Chances are though that it does begin to degrade.   The real question is at what point does a boxed five year old helmet wear out?   2 more years?  5 years?    hmmmm.

Don't forget you heads only worth as much as your helmet to make you feel like a complete ass if you don't drop $700 on a helmet.  

Did anybody read those helmet revues a few months back.  

I gotta scream well oiled marketing machine and capitalism at its lying best.  

How about the mags do a test on "old" expired helmets and see how they fair on crash and crush tests.

That would be real world and interesting reading.

·
Registered
157 Posts
but all that important protectant material is made from styrofoam and we all know that styrofoam does not decompose easily... and with it on a shelf in a climate controled warehouse protected from the envirnment (like stated earlier) i doubt it would go bad in a measly 5 years.

·
Registered
398 Posts
P-Low said:
but all that important protectant material is made from styrofoam and we all know that styrofoam does not decompose easily... and with it on a shelf in a climate controled warehouse protected from the envirnment (like stated earlier) i doubt it would go bad in a measly 5 years.
*shrug* Its your head. Is it worth $50-100 to find out? I just buy helmets I can afford new, afford to replace and know are fresh. :D

G

·
All plastics degrade over time, but in a climate controlled environment it doesn't do it nearly as fast as exposed to UV light. But why get only 2 years instead of 7 years warranty?? I wouldn't think it would shatter in an accident or anything, but for frigs sake 5 years old? blah get something newer.

G

·
Where does the original poster assert that the helmet had been in any sort of "climate controlled environment"? Any of y'all been to a Tucker-Rocky warehouse or similar?

·
Registered
449 Posts
I still ride with my 10 y.o. Shoei RF700. :eek:

I have other helmets, but I put it on for those times i feel sentimental.
I think my head grew cause that helmets feeling tight. Styrofoam shouldnt shrink when it ages?

1 - 20 of 40 Posts