Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
4,937 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I dropped it! It was kind of humiliating. I was coming to a stop at a stop sign and caught some gravel under the wheel. I already had my feet off the pegs about to put them down. Did my best to soften the blow but I still broke my brake lever. Nothing else hurt though thanks to Nate's sliders ;D. Small question burried here though. All that really broke off was the ball on the end. I have enough room to grab it with 3 fingers. Do you think it's safe to leave it as it is for now? Also anyone know of any nice after market ones that won't cost me my left testicle? I only have one left after the hot chick behind me started asking me if I was ok. All I wanted to do was pick it up and get out of there!

PS: Yeah it really was my fault too...I was stopping a little hard. Plus side, I was hardly moving.

·
Registered
737 Posts
Short levers are fine. I only use two fingers to brake anyway. I haven't had that ball end for about a year now. Never missed it.

·
Registered
836 Posts
You can get brake levers for like $7 on ebay....qualities a little down on OEM....

Truthfully, there's no middle ground when it comes to levers. There's the cheap aftermarket ones from LP, there's the OEM ones(which are stupid pricey for their quality), and then there are the unobtanium BRG levers which are about the sweetest you can find for about 15 times the price of the cheap ones....

·
Registered
284 Posts
My brake lever has been broken since I bought the SV almost 2 years ago. The nipple on the end is broken off but it has never bothered me at all. Of course it's the only thing I'm really used to... Yea so I'm ghetto...

-josh

·
Registered
91 Posts
I was recently backing out of a space on a small incline 25° and as I started to turn to the right and let the clutch out the bike died. I lost my balance and the bike slipped!! It fell to the right and I grabbed the right grip with my right hand but I couldn't exert enough force so I ended up setting it down gently and regripping. I don't have any marks and I don't have sliders or spools. I got lucky too. Everyone does it.

·
Registered
130 Posts
My only concern with the broken lever would be getting it jabbed into my body in the event of an accident. It's pretty unlikely, but still, I've heard of it happening. Also, I hate assymetry.

·
Registered
4,937 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yeah, I have some sand paper. I am going to just smooth up the edge for now. I really like those...what were they?BRG? Those are way nice. I will see...

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
amcquinn86 said:
My only concern with the broken lever would be getting it jabbed into my body in the event of an accident. It's pretty unlikely, but still, I've heard of it happening. Also, I hate assymetry.
Just what I was going to say. Get a new one ::)

·
Registered
4,937 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Sheesh it will get replaced, I'm about to move though so it will have to wait for a few weeks.

·
Registered
184 Posts
If you are a true ghetto fabulous whore, you will bust out the angle grinder and gridn the lever at at angle to make it look good, and then do the same to the brake handle to make it look symetrical. That's true ghetto at it's best!
But me, personally, I would take this as the time to buy new levers. I would spring for CRG adjutsable brake and clutch levers in the anodized gold finish. About $90 a pop and available in either short or standard lengths. Very nice, high qualitly levers that look good, plus you'll get that adjustabilitly for your clutch.

Dave

·
Registered
4,937 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
LoL yeah they are sooooo nice. Those are the ones I was looking at but two of them will run me $180! :eek:

·
Registered
4,937 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I like those too, just the money right now...eh I will rock the sanded down stubby until I can buy myself some nice ones ;D

·
Registered
58 Posts
Don't feel bad, I dropped my bike while taking it off the race stand in my garage, I was in a big hurry and I forgot to put the kickstand down. :eek: Everybody does it. I remember a few years ago I was involved in a car accident and the cop that responded was riding a Harley. As he pulled up to the scene he hit the front brake too hard and slid the front wheel on gravel and dumped it. The guy who hit me laughed, BIG MISTAKE, the cop was not happy and he charged him with the max. ;D

·
Registered
92 Posts
i dropped my 05 getting out of the garage something was in my way so i went to put the stand down and lean at the same time well i missed the stand and the bike went down gracefully ,very slow crunch, only damage was a cracked blinker it took me three times to get the bike up. at almost 400 pounds and im not that big of a guy

·
Super Moderator
8,820 Posts
Or you can use some alumalloy to "weld" them back together.
That is what I did and you have to look closely to see the repair.

·
Registered
4,937 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I picked that bike up with 10 seconds of it touching the ground, cranked it and split. No way I was sticking around for the Security Forces guys to walk over. Their shack was about 30 feet away. So saying that, i didn't grab the broken peice

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.