Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
836 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been looking at the Icon Body armor a bit lately, primarily the leg armor and shorts.

http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/department.aspx?department=108&manufacturer=284&Division=1

I would be using this as something to wear underneath either "riding" jeans or just normal jeans to add abrasion resistance and some level of impact absorption.

Let me know you guys' thoughts...I'm pretty curious about this stuff. But Icon's been known to produce gimmicky stuff before.

·
Registered
276 Posts
I have a riding buddy who swears by the field armor. I like the looks of it too. I also like the est, but it might be a pain to wear if it has any metal in it. My job takes me in and out of courhouses all day, and its a pain having to take all my gear off and run it through the xray machine. As it is, my boots, jacket, gloves, helmet, bag, etc have to go through. If i were wearing additional armor under my clothes, it would be a real pain to get to to take off for the nice sherrifs working the security station. -_-

·
Registered
836 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
license2ill said:
Crap.

If you are going to spend that much on undergarments, look at the T-pro Action PRo shorts and the knee/shin strap-on armor for somelegitimate CE-approved energy absorption, but I think a good pair of overpants would be more ideal than jeans, regardless of what's underneath:

http://www.johnsonleather.com/strap_on_leg.htm

http://www.cbxman.com/detail.aspx?ID=1172
Great finds...the leg armor looks nicer...but not as securely attached.

The Shorts seem to provide better armor...but less abrasion resistance.

I have a pair of overpants and they're bulky and uncomfortable feeling. If I were to wear riding pants....they'd be dedicated riding pants I think...probably full leathers. I'm not ready for that transition yet. :)

·
Registered
37 Posts
i have the leg armor, and i love it...well secured yet comfy and breathable...crash tested, alex approved... ;D

·
Registered
836 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
itsalex said:
i have the leg armor, and i love it...well secured yet comfy and breathable...crash tested, alex approved... ;D
When you say crash tested....was it a crash which actually involved impact on your knees? Pics?

Having owned them....do you think they can comfortably be worn with motorcycle boots?

J

·
0 Posts
Someone posted not too long ago and said they were wearing the knee/shin armor in an accident. Included links to a picture of the armor after accident. If I remember correctly he was happy with it.

·
Registered
397 Posts
yea i have the leg armor as well. I like them just don't wear jeans or pants that are too tight or it gets to be a pain in the ass sometimes...

·
Registered
46 Posts
I finally bought the shorts, and I am impressed with the quality and construction. The stretch aramid (which feels and looks very similar to the schoeller keprotec used in many leather jackets (a*stars, etc...) covers most of the short, although the inner thigh/groin area is covered with a mesh material for comfort. It looks like it will provide good abrasion resistance- which was my primary reason for buying them. Armor would be nice, but even my overpants dont provide hip/butt/thigh armor.

They are comfortable to wear, although i think they would be a little hot in temps over 80. Combined with some knee guards and motorcycle boots, almost your entire leg would be protected from abrasion and some impact (knees and lower legs from the knee guards). I ended up picking up some fox raptor motocross CE-approved knee guards, instead of the icon leg armor. I like the raptors, but they dont provide any protection (abrasion or resistance) for the back of the knee and lower leg (just have three straps). So Im thinking of selling my raptors (which I bought used and cheap) and getting the icon leg armor instead, since the icons appear to provide some abrasion resistance for the lower leg.

·
Registered
836 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yea...basically what I'm thinkin' about is getting the leg armor and shorts and wearing them with jeans at least....and "riding" jeans at the most. I just don't feel like full out riding pants...and that's an acceptable risk to me, but I want some protection for my knees primarily and my ass secondly.

Any word yet on whether the leg armor is compatible with motorcycle boots?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts