Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I wondered if anyone could give me some advice about the best way to transport things for small trips on the SV. I have a naked 03. I wanted to carry an extra helmet, regular shoes, a change of clothes, several other small things. I was thinking either a moderate sized tail bag or a nice backpack and just restrain the helmet with a spider bungee cord on the back. I don't think I'd want to get saddlebags because I don't need that much space. There is just so many options, they have backpacks that can hold helmets, tail bags that can hold them too. Cortech has a nice looking tailbag, as well as a backpack that can hold helmets. So whoever has tried these things out let me know what has worked best. I've looked thru luggagelocker but that seems a little too pricey. Iron Pony has a lot of stuff at decent prices. Thanks.

·
Registered
6,503 Posts
The amount of stuff you are describing would be a tough fit in a tailbag. Backpacks quickly become torture. I have a set of RKA expandable saddle bags and find them very convenient. They install and remove quickly, zipped up they have ample space for around-town and overnighters, expanded they hold an amazing amount of stuff. They come with rain covers. Saddlebags also have the advantage of keeping the weight lower than either a backpack or a tailbag. I have a small duffel that I can tie on across the tops of the bags if I'm going on extended trips.

·
Registered
703 Posts
To transport all of the items that you mentioned I'd get a tailbag from luggage locker. Probably the most secure way to get your stuff there (albeit an expensive way) http://www.luggagelocker.com/

Another alternative would be to make your own, Orangegilly style. Essentially a dufflebag that's securely bolted to an extra passenger seat. Do a search for that or "OG Bag, OG Tailbag" etc. I'm sure you'll find something.

·
Premium Member
11,333 Posts
put all your suff in a back pack and bungee net it to the rear seat is your cheapest option I double bungee net my stuff
caost $20 for back pack from wally word and $10 for a couple bungee nets from almost any bike shop

·
Registered
32 Posts
I have the Tour Master Cortect tail bag and saddlebags. I highly recommend them. You can get all of the stuff you mention into it. If you look around, I think you can get all of it for about $160. I also recommend a tank bag. I have a magnetic Tour Master with clear map pocket that works very well for cell phone, keys, wallet, couple of spare visors. The best thing is it expands enough that i can also fit my Joe Rocket Phoenix jacket into with all of said stuff in it as well.

There are lots of options aside from a backpack. Check them out if you can.

Cheers.

Tige

·
Registered
290 Posts
andyauger said:
The amount of stuff you are describing would be a tough fit in a tailbag. Backpacks quickly become torture. I have a set of RKA expandable saddle bags and find them very convenient. They install and remove quickly, zipped up they have ample space for around-town and overnighters, expanded they hold an amazing amount of stuff. They come with rain covers. Saddlebags also have the advantage of keeping the weight lower than either a backpack or a tailbag. I have a small duffel that I can tie on across the tops of the bags if I'm going on extended trips.
tige said:
I have the Tour Master Cortect tail bag and saddlebags. I highly recommend them. You can get all of the stuff you mention into it. If you look around, I think you can get all of it for about $160. I also recommend a tank bag. I have a magnetic Tour Master with clear map pocket that works very well for cell phone, keys, wallet, couple of spare visors. The best thing is it expands enough that i can also fit my Joe Rocket Phoenix jacket into with all of said stuff in it as well.

There are lots of options aside from a backpack. Check them out if you can.

Cheers.

Tige
Guys , I too am interested in some saddle bags, and want some photos. I want to see what they look like. Any drawbacks to these items? Do they scratch the tail section?

·
Registered
177 Posts
Do you already have a tank bag? If not,. I'd get one. They are infinitely useful for every kind of riding. Around town they can fit lots of stuff with good mass centralization and an easy to use placement, and on longer rides you've got good storage and a map pocket, which is really nice. I'd put my stuff in the tank bag then bungee and strap the helmet to the rear seat. What I mean by strapping is running the chin strap around and under the seat if you can, before you snap the seat back on.

I've got a Joe Rocket tank bag I've been using for years that is great, and when I bought my bike the owner gave me his identical one. Using the strap points on it, it works great as a tailbag too. They hold quite a bit when expanded.

That's 4 days worth of clothing, food, and riding stuff for SBNW where I camped. Sleeping bag on top of the "tail" bag, tent behind it. Sandals, pair of jeans, 3 shirts, socks, underwear, toiletries, camera, cable lock, bag of bagels, chex mix, pretzels, apples, nutrition bars, half gallen Nalgene bottle, maps, chain lube, rags, etc.

Here's the bag on Froogle - Joe Rocket Blaster Tank Bag

·
Registered
36 Posts
I often do exactly this when I go to work, taking with me an extra helmet, a change of clothes, my laptop, and a few other small things.  What has worked great for me is to bungee the helmet to the passanger seat, and take everything else in a tank bag.

The tank bag is great.  It keeps the extra weight where it helps you, a little forward of the center of gravity of the bike, rather than where it hurts you, above and a little behind the rear axle.  You can keep an eye on it while you're riding, which is good for peace of mind, and a lot of them have nifty features like the clear pocket on the top for a map or directions to where you're going.

The tank bag has worked well for me, through a year of college and another year working.  I've used it to go to school, work, reserve duty, and on longer trips for the weekend.  You ought to check it out.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts